Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

1984 Trans Am Headlight Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 Trans Am Headlight Issues

Hello all, before I begin I would like to say I’ve searched around on the forum and did not find anything matching my current issue. I recently purchased a 1984 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. The car has a built 6.6 liter small block Chevy swap, Barg Warner T5 Transmission, Barg Warner rear end, etc etc. With all that being said, I should also mention the work performed on the car was done correctly with no corners cut mechanically or electronically. It is a very fun car to drive and rewarding to take care of, however, it doesnhave its problems. Upon purchasing the car, both headlights turned on, but neither would pop up or down. After some research, I narrowed the issue down to the isolation relay. After not being able to locate a GM relay online, I purchased a homemade one from eBay. The new relay required me to cut off the stock mounting clips, and splice it into the system wire-by-wire. I installed the new isolation relay, blew a fuse because I didn’t disconnect the battery (never even thought of it lol), replaced the blown 20 amp fuse under the steering wheel, and pushed the button. The drivers side now pops up and down under its own power! However, the passenger side still does nothing. It opens and closes manually with the **** next to the headlight with no grinding or whining anywhere within its range of motion. When the button is pressed, I do not see the small **** protruding from the motor do anything at all. I used a test light and have power at the white/red striped wire going into the back of the relay, and power at the solid pink wire going into the relay with the switch in the off position. What could the potential issue be? I apologize if this has been asked and answered already, but I did not see it in my searching. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: 1984 Trans Am Headlight Issues

I also have an 84 firebird, and I’ve faced the dreaded isolation relay problem. I read how to repair the relay on a Fiero enthusiast website, and it worked for me. My headlights are still a little quirky. Sometimes I have to tap on the headlight switch (on the dash) to get both headlights to pop up. You can also replace the headlight switch and two other relays under the hood as they are cheap and not hard to replace. The problem could be there. Here is the Fiero website and my repair experience:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/136983.html
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...eadlights.html
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ml#post6102633

Old 09-16-2018, 09:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 155 Likes on 99 Posts
Car: 1984 T/A
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 4.10 gears

I actually just purchased a brand new isolation relay as i am having headlight issues. Its not oem , i got it here. http://rodneydickman.com/catalog/ind...a48027ade7b155
Old 09-19-2018, 03:28 PM

Funny - the opendns content filter blocked that website. I turned it off and viewed the new isolation relay. I’m glad someone is finally making a replacement. It looks like a good product.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:48 PM

I replaced the relay on the passenger side with the relay I received in the mail today with no luck. The fuse under the dash is good, and I have power going to the relay. Motor does not appear to be damaged either. Am I missing something obvious?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 PM

The headlights are controlled by 3 relays. Two actuator relays are on each inner fender near the headlights. An isolation relay is between the radiator and battery. You fix or replace isolation relay per above instructions.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:43 AM

Isolation relay has been replaced, and is why the drivers side headlight now works correctly. It had no effect on the passenger side headlight.