Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Which touch up spray paint to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 10:20 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 3.1
Transmission: 5 speed
Which touch up spray paint to get?

I need to respray my rear deck lid that has a fairly big rust patch. I will sand it down and cover with primer but what touch up paint should I go with? The rest of the body is in very poor condition with paint heavily oxidized so it will need compound and polish to get some of the original shine back. So I am not really concerned about the perfect match as I am assuming that the resprayed rear deck lid is going to look 10x better than the current paint that's on the car. I just need something that will spray nice. I would prefer 1-stage type paint but I can clear coat if needed. Looking for a spray can of course (not a gallon to mix and use with an air gun). Any recommendations? Are those Dupli-Color Perfect Match paints I can get at AutoZone any good?
Old 05-09-2024, 11:19 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: Originally LU5, but now Carb'd
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 323
Re: Which touch up spray paint to get?

Been there and spent way too much money on Spray Paint trying to do the same thing you describe. If you can get the Dupli-Color Perfect match in your paint code, then proceed forward. I think at the time the price as $14 or so a can (small cans too). I just checked and found the same cans are now $18.99. You would probably need 4 cans, plus primer and clear coat to get any sort of decent coverage. Spray paint goes on supper thin compared to a spray gun setup. In the end I was not happy with the results, so here I am in the middle of complete repaint. Good luck and post some pictures of the progress.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI, 113 heads, Comp Cam
Transmission: 700R4, 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Re: Which touch up spray paint to get?

Check local body shop supply places to see if they sell custom mixed spray cans. To fix the hood on my truck I went to RestoPaint near me. they had paint cards to match up the different variants to my color, mixed the color in a can right there, and had advise on which products etc. The results are perfect, exact match. It was Sherwin Williams paint in Spray Max cans. I used 2k base/clear, but it’s also available as Single Stage.