South East Region Regional Board for South East Members.

titling my car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 trans am
Engine: 305 5.0L HO
Transmission: TH350
titling my car.

OK folks.
A bit of a long winded issue here.
Please anybody who has titling experience or insider knowledge could you give me some guidance.

I purchased an 84 trans am on dec 26 last year.
At the time I was unable to go do the titling due to 1 thing or another.
There was money going out on restoration/engine parts and I figured I'd go register and title it when done.
This has all taken a bit more time than expected.....

Here's my issue really.
The vehicle has a BONDED title in Mississippi.

Louisiana DMV are all hands in the air like WE DON'T touch bonded titles. (I have a salvage title on my 2000 firebird)
You must go do it in MS.
Meaning that I'd have to move to MS, change my license, address and insurance. Then I would Still not be able to transfer it to LA.
MS are like all hands in the air saying...WE WON'T remove the BONDING.
Now I find that the title in fact has the wrong VIN. It is close, but incorrect on 1 number and 1 letter.
Probably from reading the rusty vin plate in the window and taking that to the bonding agency or wherever.
The actual RPO sticker in the console and an old insurance card inside the car reveal the real vin#.
So does the 1 inside the windshield when read carefully.

All along with this I was made aware after the sale that the owner who sold it to me did not go to dmv and change the title either.
Meaning that the title is still registered to someone else. It is signed by the owner written on the title but not dated.
The transaction went by quickly and smoothly And due to the holiday period I was unable to go to a notary and notarize the sale.
I basically drove with truck and trailer, met this guy half way from me to him and transferred the car to my trailer, handed over the cash, got my receipt of sale and title which was signed. I thought everything was good.

Without getting too far into it right now.
I am way further into this vehicle financially than I was when I bought it.
I paid $600 but got my receipt written for $200 so as I could save when paying tax on registration
I need to get this vehicle titled. I can never get my money back for this now.
1. chance of getting it back legally are almost nil...and my receipt states $200...so that's not an option to give it back for that price. (I'm almost 2 grand in it now with parts and motor work etc).
2. it was almost a year ago.
3. even if I had done this last year, I'd still be in the same situation. However I would not be 2 G's in it.
Not for re-sale purposes, but only for myself.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know.

I do ask that anyone who has that "You're Just screwed" answer to not express it please.

To add to my poor situation....
I am not from this country and I seem to have been slack in my knowledge of motor vehicle laws.
I have dreamed of having one of these trans ams since I was a young man (15) and I am now 41. We do not have many of these in the UK to my knowledge.
This was the ultimate project for me and now the kick in the pants is painful. I almost want to cry but big boys don't do that, so stiff upper lip and all that eh?

Please someone help!!

Thank you to all who took the time to read all of this. And even more to any who reply with insight.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 PM

Car: 84 Camaro autoform
Engine: 305
Re: titling my car.

You should still be able to register the car even though it has a bonded title.I see no reason why they wouldn't.You will still have a bonded title once it is in your name, you can't have the bond removed until three years from when it was originally issued.After 3 years from when the bonded title was issued you can get clear title.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 PM

That's not what I was told on phone to MS dmv.
I was told that it CANNOT be removed. After being passed along twice and then talking to someone's boss.
Anyways I have to go the other route. That bonded title does not match my VIN....so I'm gonna go file for a lost title. That's a major PITA in LA. Now I have no idea of the last registered owner of the correct VIN.
My carfax/autocheck shows the last history entry being 2005 in Arkansas.

Therefore my thinking is that this owner sold it possibly without a title and the named owner on my Incorrect title applied for a bonded title with the wrong vin#.
That's where I stand at the moment with it.
LA dmv require the lost title be filed by the last registered owner. This state is messed up. You can't sell one without a title here. So how do the other folks get replacement titles?

I've seen some online traders will basically do it for you for the sum of around $350.
That's a little steep right now to think about.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt 3.27 posi

It's funny you should ask... I am going through something similar myself. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV... so I take no responsibility for the advice dispensed herein.

I purchased an 88 GTA that was advertised for sale with no title. (I did a quick search using the NICB 's VINcheck. It came back clean.) I bought it because I needed parts for a V8 swap. To make a long story short, the car was in much better shape than I had been told, and also in WAAAY better shape than the car that I was going to swap the motor into.

This of course I realized after I had already bought the car. The guy who sold it to me refused to answer my emails once I had the car... So then I paid $20 for an AutoCheck report. I got more details, but no info on the titled owner, just when and where it had been titled.

This info told me the state in which it had last been titled, which happens to be the one where I live. I then contacted DMV, and began a process to title an "abandoned vehicle". It only cost $25, and it involves the DMV attempting to contact the titled owner. If the titled owner does not respond, or can't be found, there is a waiting period, and then they issue a title. If the owner does respond, they have so many days to claim the vehicle and pay any charges due, otherwise, once again, you get a title.

Now the law is going to vary from state to state, and some will be more challenging than others. You need to research the DMV laws in your state. I checked with the OMV in LA, and there is no info on the site. They do give a toll free number to call if your question is not listed.

Since the car was never titled in LA, and the last reported title is in Arkansas, you may want to see if you can get an Arkansas title. I would check with LA OMV first, to see what they say.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 PM

thanks for the input there.
I remember reading some abandonment laws on the dmv site.
I'll have to re-read on that.
If I recall though it's a very complicated process.
All I need is a piece of paper which proves that at some point I did legally give someone money for my car.

the thing that worries me is that by filing for an abandonment title.
Would I not be inviting a problem of the last registered owner wanting it back? Like if they paid all the penalties because it would be cheaper than getting a decent third gen now.

Boy....I'd be screwed.
One of my bosses, who's big into cars and drag racing, Says I should do it in Alabama through one of those antique titling agencies. He's got a lot of old mustangs, but never had this problem personally. However knows people who have.

My other boss is telling me to not give out the VIN# until I know it will be done.
He says the vin could get flagged and I'll never be able to do it.

It's all got me a bit angry at the system.
Not sure which way will guarantee me
Old 11-07-2009, 06:14 AM
Supreme Member

Well, very few things in life are guaranteed.

If the titled owner wanted the car, they probably already would have laid a claim to it. In a lot of cases, when a car is sold without a title, it is because the title was lost or destroyed, and the owner didn't want to go through the hassle of acquiring a replacement title. They would now have to do so in order to claim the car.

A good way to avoid a claim is to make it difficult and/or costly for that person to claim the car. For example, unless the car is drivable, it's going to cost money to ship the car. Also, if the car is in a state of disassembly, then you would not be responsible for reassembling it. You just report that you agreed to allow somebody to store the car on your property while it was being worked on. Ultimately, that person abandoned it there in its present condition, and that you want the car removed, or else you want title to the car so that you may legally dispose of it.

The titled owner would not have a claim on any parts that you have purchased for the car, and as long as the car hasn't been reported stolen you would not be held responsible for the present condition of the car.

Finally, there will be a legal deadline for removal. If it is 15 days, and the car is in pieces, the likelihood that some former owner is going to have the desire, the time, and the wherewithal to claim the car and remove it within that time frame is minimal.

In all likelihood, unless the car is in mint condition and the titled owner is a greedy SOB, it will not be claimed. I recall that I once sold a car, and the people who bought it never titled it, and drove it around with 'borrowed' plates until it died. They abandoned it, and I was contacted, as the last titled owner. I told the police department that I had no interest in claiming the car, as it had been sold, and I had signed title over to the purchaser. Had I claimed the car, I would have been liable for towing and parking tickets, plus I would have had an old car that needed repair.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:50 PM

I see.
Tonight, or in the morning I am going to the local police office to inquire as to my best move here.
I read on another search about them helping....it's worth a try.
I have been unable to contact the person I bought the car from...however that would prove fruitless since I would be pursuing the wrong title anyways. He didn't register and the previous owner could only get me a replacement title for the wrong VIN#.

Depending on what the police say I will be talking to an acquaintance who works in a bank, and whom I recently repaired their roof. This person has a sister who works at a towing/wrecker service and are always going through title acquirement. There should be excellent advice to be gained from that.
I'm hoping 1 of the 2 works out for me.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:41 PM

Car: 1990 Iroc
Engine: 6.0
Transmission: 4l65E
Axle/Gears: 373 zexel torsen

Let us know how it works out. I live in Ms and I am going through a similar ordeal with the title for my car. The person sold it to me for monthly payments but when I paid my last note I couldn,t get the title because he had a lean out against the car. And he skipped town so now I cant find him.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

Look into also putting a lein against the title//car.That way if someone tries to claim it,they must pay you for storage & any work done.

Wikipedia summary--
"In U.S. law,a lien is the broadcast term for any sort of charge or encumbrance against an item of property that secures the payment of a debt or performance of some other obligation..." Look up the definition and see what you can do legaly if you go this direction.

I"m not a Lawyer either.Go to the library or use your computer-read-up on liens and what//how they are applied legaly.

Could he have given the wrong title? Maybe he had another vehicle and mistakenly gave you the wrong one??

You have a bill-of-sale and you have the car. Study the laws in your State and go from there.
{edit}
What does "Bonded" mean??..??

Last edited by t-top havoc; 11-07-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Bonded?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:37 AM

Bonded means that someone went to register a car without proof that they actually own it...i.e. no title or receipt from what I can tell.
A bond company appraises the car and set's a 10% bond value to issue a title.
The vin# is reported and the previous owner may lay claim to the vehicle.
pretty much like a lost title but more of a PITA.
I'll look into your suggestions.
Why does this simple thing have to be so complicated.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro
Engine: 357 5.0L Carb

Hello,

I just recently had the same thing with my 1984 Camaro, i used a online company that has worked out great for me. it was 350 to get everything done. But i figured after putting about 7K into my baby it was worth the money. but any who the Tech that work with me has been wonderful and kept in touch with me threw the whole process. giving me updates the whole time, i am very pleased with there work and the quickness they worked to get me a title,plate and even Reg. here's the website check it out and see what you think honestly.

The person i bought my car from moved to Japan and well it was really hard to get in touch with him to try and get the title. the tech helped me get everything in order and here i am now driving my baby

www.getnewtitle.com

you can always send a email to them explaining whats going on and they will respond to you very fast and let you know what needs to be done and how the process will work
Old 11-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

Update on my car: I got the title to it today. The VA procedure was online (except for the final part, which required a brief DMV visit to have the title issued, on the spot), and virtually painless.

I hope you can have similar success.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 PM

mines is getting a little better.
I went to state police yesterday and they run the vin for me...not stolen.
They told me to load it up on the trailer and take it to them and they will inspect it and give me paperwork to take to DMV....
Planning on doing that at the weekend and hopefully....hopefully this all works out like they say.
They will also state that the supporting documents differ from the vehicle.
The DPS policeman said I should have no trouble really. But it's one step closer.
They deal with it often enough to give me the right advice.
I'll keep you all posted.

Edit: I did get in touch with getnewtitle.com and explained all in a lengthy email...a lady called next day and assured me I can get a registration through MAINE. I have not acted on this because I feel I have not exhausted all other alley ways. And welcome to thirdgen.org buddy. Hope to see you around on the boards.

Last edited by astrosurfer; 11-19-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: afterthoughts will do it everytime...LOL
Old 02-02-2010, 06:15 PM

Here's a little update on my titling issue in case anyone has issues now or in the future with a situation like mines.

I have actually recently managed to almost get this straight.
I have mailed all my paperwork to DMV and am awaiting response from them.

I followed up on some advice given me from the shady guy who sold me my 4th gen.
(sorry if you're reading this...but you are shady...LOL)

I contacted a Justice of the peace in baton rouge.
I was happy to read a fact that they can pose judgment of any property valued at $5000 or less.
I pleaded my case in a lengthy email and got a great response a couple of days later. Gave me info what to do.
I had to take my car to the state police for an "Affidavit" of my VIN#.
Then to take all my paperwork to him.
He checked it was all correct.
I paid for a court judgment declaring me the sole and undoubted owner of the vehicle, along with court statement that LA DMV were to issue me title to said car.
So i am hoping I hear back soon. It's been 3 weeks or so since I sent my paperwork in.
I scanned all documentation just in case anything should happen to the originals.

This has been a major PITA.
I'm at the mercy of DMV now....there's no help nor medication for this....lol.

Here's the best part of the document....

Last edited by astrosurfer; 02-02-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Excellent news. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

BTW, I got my GTA running last weekend... working on brakes next.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:47 PM

sweet.
Talking GTA...
I'm swapping someone my power bulge for a GTA hood.
He's having the little bit of damage repaired and to have it primed ready for paint.
It was missing the vents....but I scooped up the only pair I found on Ebay.
Those are hard come by. I'm glad I logged in that night. It was a 1 day auction If I recall. Might have been 3.
I removed the blue paint and just need to give a wee rub down with some fine wet and dry. They will be black and the screens are going to be Gold. I did a quick mock up for the wife to see and I think it's going to look tight.
A lot of people are all about the power bulge being the best hood but I beg to differ.
I think the GTA hood is the one to have, and it's all becoming a reality for me as to how I want my car to look.
I do like the WS6 hood but I'm not sure I like it on a 3rd gen.
I've had this all in my head since I was a teenager.
It's possible that this car might end up white when the original motor finally gives in.
That is ultimately what colour I want to have.
But I've just piled a ton of money into the motor and am waiting to get out on the road and see If I've managed to save the original engine or if it's time to go for a 350 TPI.
Time will tell.
Still no word from DMV today either.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 AM
Supreme Member

That does sound nice with the white hood... My GTA is white, and for the time being at least, she'll stay that way.

I have been cleaning and buffing, and the paint job seems to be in good shape under all the gunk (tree sap, I think).
Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 PM

WOO HOO.
I am very excited to inform anyone who wanted to know, that OMV called me yesterday about my title.
I need to send them proof of insurance and a small fee of $63.50.
They will send me the title and registration and tag.
I have been stuck on this for a while now and am Overjoyed now.
I will have my car around here soon and can work on it better.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Supreme Member

Woo Hooo! Believe me, I know just how that feels! I'm shopping around for tires now. Once I get 'em, my GTA will reclaim the road!