Southern California Area Southern California Members.

Coupla questions RE: CA tint/emission laws

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Coupla questions RE: CA tint/emission laws

Ok guys/gals, I'm planning on moving out to CA in a few months, and of course, one of my main concerns is what I am going to do about my cars... so I've got a couple of questions:
First of all, what are the tint laws there? Please remember that I'll have to get my cars inspected to get them tagged, so they're liable to make a fuss about the tint then. Can I tint the rear hatch as dark as I want? And what about the sides? Someone told my you're not allowed to have any tint on the side windows?!?! Is that true?
As for emissions... the GTA has all it's emissions equipment there, and the only mods are SLP runners and a homemade CAI. I know the runners are legal, but I dont have a sticker for them, do I need one? And are they gonna bitch about the CAI setup too?

As for the camaro and emissions... probably a lost cause, I'd have to switch the entire motor and exhaust to get it to pass. For the time being, I'll keep it tagged in KS. I'm considering putting a miniram on it, but someone told me that the CA peeps are fine-happy and will fine me if they even see that thing under my hood. What do you guys think?
Old 06-02-2002, 01:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 irocz
Engine: 350tip
Transmission: 700r4
hatch go be dark as you want i belive, but the sides cant have any, I have limo on my back and both sides, but i tend to drive with them down aorund town so I dont have to deal with the five o (i get enogh **** with my header/cutout combo, let alone wanting bs about the tint)
Old 06-02-2002, 01:07 AM

You can have any tinting you want on the back glass as long as you have mirrors on both sides of the car. The side glass on thirdgens cant have any tint whatsoever, its not legal here. It would only be legal on windows behind the driver, which of course we dont have.

Emissions? LOL have fun! Where ya movin to? Could have an effect on it. As for fines, only way you'd get fined is if you met someone really ****, and even then you'd usually only get nailed for no cat. Most people around here just act stupid and say thats the way they bought the car.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:16 AM
Supreme Member

would be nice to just slap anythign on and if it passes smog your good to go, Im sure you could get a mini to pass, it defiently wont pass the visual though, this is the one of the few things I ahte about california, but ive lived here my whole lofe, so Im basically addicted to the place....lesser of two evils I guess...
Old 06-02-2002, 02:41 AM

Car: 91 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
No window tint on the sides??! That's just plain retarded.
And I had another thought... my camaro's blackouts on the taillights, they wont be legal either, will they? Jeez, my car is gonna look like total @ss...
Old 06-02-2002, 03:36 AM
Supreme Member

No tint on sides, blackouts are illegal. The CAI and runners shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:38 PM

Typically you won't get bothered about side window tint unless you are doing something to get a cop's attention anyway. I've had tint on my side windows for a few years now without any hassles at all.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:57 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2003 Porsche C4S
Engine: 3.6L
Transmission: 6-speed Manual
a lot of the stuff that is technically illegal won't get you in trouble unless the cop want to pull you over because of other suspicions.

I haven't had a front license plate on my car ever, but technically that is illegal.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Originally posted by james_85Z28
I haven't had a front license plate on my car ever, but technically that is illegal.
I've been citied twice for no front license plate. The first time my car was legally parked and unattended. The meter maid wrote me up simply for no front plate.

With more and more cameras popping up in our intersections, the police are starting to seriously enforce the front plate law. I fabbed up a simple bracket that attaches under the front of the car using existing screws in the body. This way I can put it on and take it off easily.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: LS1 - 346 ci
Transmission: 4L60E
We're not allowed to have tint on our side windows???? I DIDN'T KNOW THAT... AND the front plate thing...well I don't have a plate, but there's a holder for it, but no plate yet....
Old 06-05-2002, 12:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Originally posted by Andy89RS
Typically you won't get bothered about side window tint unless you are doing something to get a cop's attention anyway. I've had tint on my side windows for a few years now without any hassles at all.
You've been very lucky then. I got stopped for my tint in the first week I started driving my car. And I got a warning about no front license plate. He let me off on that one because I showed him the plate in the back seat, and told him I just got the car and hadnt put it on yet. I had to remove the tint, pay the $10 "processing fee", and get it signed off at a CHP office. And I got another warning there about no front plate.

I now have no tint and a front plate.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:48 AM
Supreme Member

Here in Carlsbad, the cops have nothign better to do then nitpick my limo tinted sides and no license plate. We have no crime here, so I tend to drive around town (carlsbad anyways) with them down, if im on the freeway i roll them up........
Old 06-08-2002, 06:48 PM

Car: 08 Nissan Altima
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Stock
Hello.
I used to be an Explorer with the California Highway Patrol and pretty much what everyone has said is correct . No blackouts, no tint unless its behind the driver (as dark as you want), the front window shade (tint) cant be any wider than 3" , and about the smog stuff....well....good luck! No, a mini WILL NOT pass inspection. The inspectors here, believe it or not, have better trained eyes than even i thought. If you were hoping to get a non english speaking guy with a pencil and a signature, no such luck! ha ha. They are actual officers and DMV personell who believe it or not know the difference between a 4th gen intake and a mini-ram, and TPI. I dont know what you should do about that. A long shot would be letting them know that you came from a state with far less smog laws than here and it would be entirely out of the question to get it to pass CA smog. Dont know where that will get you, but its definitly a try. Also, where to Cali are you moving? There are a few 3rd Gen F-body clubs here in So-Cal. Myself and Andy89RS are presidents of Golden State 3rd Gens (GS3) and Kevin is pres of Southern California 3rd Gens (SC3G) If you are comming to southern Cali you should come check out the meetings. We have a get together (gathering) every month and an 0fficial planning meeting every other month. Sweet ride, i checked out your web page and my mouth was drooling (over the car that is ) Wouldnt mind having my *** handed to me by that ride!... Check out my web site for GS3 at www.taskerhost.com/gs3 . Good luck with the car...