Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

HELP! Front end eating my tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Front end eating my tires

I need some advice. My front end is quickly wearing out the inside shoulder of my right front tire. Obviously, this is a problem with my front end geometry, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I took it to a shop that I trust, and they said I need new struts and a new idler arm for my front steering linkage. They showed me my front struts. When you stand under the car on the lift, and pull the front end down, the struts don't raise the car all the way back up into position. Likewise, when you raise the front end, the struts don't fully lower back to the normal ride height. Accordingly, I'm sure I need front struts. My question is: Do I need to replace the struts to cure the tire wear issue? I'm not sure that the wear is actually caused by the struts. Do they have that much of an impact on the tire wear? I need to fix this problem immediately because I have already had to move one tire to the rear because of the wear. But, I would like to wait on new struts because I am still in school and can't really afford to rebuild both the steering linkage and the struts. If anyone is familiar with front end alignment issues like this, I could really use some guidance. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Well, you definitely need the alignment done. But for it to be done right, the front end parts have to be sound. New front struts can be had fairly cheap and installing them is pretty easy. Do it yourself and save some $$$.

From there, I'd take it in for an alignment and get the idler arm done at the same.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
That's a different way to test the struts. They don't hold up the car. They work like a shock and control the movement of the spring(so it doesn't bounce up and down constantly). Although the struts are probably getting worn out(if they are bouncing really bad, get them replaced). If you are short on cash, get the suspension working right with a new idler arm and a 'good' alignment so you stop tearing up tires(costing you even more money). Search the boards for some alignment specs. Or send me an email. The struts can be added later(when you can afford some good ones 'kyb') and usually won't require an alignment.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:49 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Camaro I-Roc z
Engine: 305
Transmission: Th700r4
im unclear on the differences between struts and shocks. personally i htink they are the same but then again im no mechanic.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shocks and struts are very similar. The only difference is the strut acts as another link of the suspension. It eliminates the need for an upper control arm. And on some cars it provides a mounting point for the springs.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:37 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
and of coarse the biggest difference is the price!

eating up front tires is not good, good luck getting fixed as soon and as cheap as possible!