Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

OK this is really weird, I could really use some help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 04:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK this is really weird, I could really use some help!!

I just recently had my 92 camaro rs aligned a couple months ago and they didn't align the steering wheel straight so I have to turn the wheel to the left to go straight. Well that would be an easy fix with a good allignment, but the thing is when I am braking I have to steer the car straight to stop straight as apposed to turning the wheel to the left to go straight when I am not braking. I have replaced both front brake hoses 2 months ago so it's not the hoses I know that. I also have a tiny bit of play in the steering wheel from side to side if that could be part of the problem too. Any ideas as to what it could be? Is it a brake problem or a steering problem? Thanks
Old 04-05-2003, 01:25 AM
Supreme Member

So nobody has any idea what it is?
Old 04-05-2003, 01:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 Chev
Engine: 60*V6
Transmission: DY T700
Your steering linkage and or balljoints are worn and need replacing. A reliable alignment mechanic can tell you what parts are worn. It could be one of several or even all of them. Sounds like a stardard rebuild kit will come into play.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Supreme Member

how much would a rebuild kit cost?
Old 04-05-2003, 01:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 25THRSS
how much would a rebuild kit cost?
Here's a link: http://www.spohn.net/index.cfm?fusea...&productid=115
Old 04-05-2003, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 355 C.I.
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Naaaaaaa.. take it back and have them align it right and it will be right even with worn parts
Old 04-05-2003, 01:57 AM
Supreme Member

I'm not really concerned with the steering wheel being off. I know thats the alignment for sure, but what I was worried about was how when i brake i have to steer the car to the right. I have replaced both front brake lines as well so that eliminates one problem. I also have some play in the steering wheel so it would make sense that the suspension being worn out is the problem. Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate it. If anyone else thinks it could be something else then I would appreciate the info. Also, its been like 2 months since i got it aligned and just never has the time to take it back and have it realigned the right way. Do you think if I took it back now would they align it right this time at no charge since they were the ones who did it wrong in the first place?
Old 04-05-2003, 01:59 AM
Supreme Member

i too question the alignment however i had the same problem. i replaced my steering parts like the linkage and tierods and it cured everything.

when my ball joints were bad there was a loud poping noise when i turned the wheel hard.

i don't have any play in the steering now and it drives straight as an arrow for wide tires! good luck with it.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:00 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 90Formula-X-F
Naaaaaaa.. take it back and have them align it right and it will be right even with worn parts
There are two problems with your statement-

1) There is a reason why it is not right- worn parts

2)a{ If they could have done it right and didn't- why should he trust/go back to them?
b{If they tried to adjust things with worn parts and did not tell him things were bad- why should he trust/go back to them?

I will reitterate what I suggested above- try to find a reliable alignment mechanic to check things out for you. He will give you a second opinion and put things in writing for you if the first mechanic neglected to perform things properly- that a way you have recourse to get your money back do to possible incompitence or blatant take your money and run work. If parts are worn beyond alignment specs they are obligated to tell you an alignment can't be done correctly without replacement of parts first. Its a safety issue and they are certified so.

Edit; If you have drivin on it for a few months like that then you have no recourse- your milage was recorded and now shows several miles driven. They can claim that anything could have happened in that time-dips, bumps, potholes......etc. Sorry.

Last edited by AGood2.8; 04-05-2003 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:01 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Kandied91z
i too question the alignment however i had the same problem. i replaced my steering parts like the linkage and tierods and it cured everything.

when my ball joints were bad there was a loud poping noise when i turned the wheel hard.

i don't have any play in the steering now and it drives straight as an arrow for wide tires! good luck with it.
I can feel a pop in the wheel when i turn it as well, I cant really hear it, but i can feel it. I think it is suspension related as well now. Thanks guys!
Old 04-05-2003, 02:02 AM
Supreme Member

Just to let you guys know this was a dealer alignment too. I was never told anything was wrong with my car. I thought that if I took it to the dealer they would definitely do it right. Guess not
Old 04-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Banned

Wanted to bring this down- I edited my statement after I read your next post- we posted about the same time and you may have missed my addition.

Originally posted by AGood2.8
Edit; If you have drivin on it for a few months like that then you have no recourse- your milage was recorded and now shows several miles driven. They can claim that anything could have happened in that time-dips, bumps, potholes......etc. Sorry.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:11 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah, that's what I thought even though its a load of crap. It was like that since I drove it away from the shop. It's my own fault though. I should have taken it back right away, but I just didnt have the time. Oh well By the way is there a GM front rebuild kit?

Last edited by 25THRSS; 04-05-2003 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:25 AM
Supreme Member

Your steering box and linkage is prob just worn out and that is how much slack you have.I replaced all my linkage and had the same problem still. The steering box usually has slack in it still.They have nice aftermarket ones but there exspensive. I use to get that pop also from the ball joints but b4 i replaced them i greased everthing and it stoped. If you car pulls under braking sounds like maybe you have a warped rotor or something maybe did u get them turned and new pads?Thats usually why they pull there r others reason but thats usually #1.Its hard to get the wheel strait sometimes with slack in the steering.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Supreme Member

I'm prolly gonna get the front end rebuilt and if that doesn't solve it then the steering box will be next. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:35 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Kandied91z

KANDIED,
My problem started when I got my ZR1 wheels with wider tires. MY car straight while drive (stearing wheel and rubber wheels) but when I brake the cars pulls to the right. This didnt happen untill I got my widder tires. Since you mentioned you problrm was fixed eventhough you have wider tires, I though you would be able to let me know if I di what you did, if it would solve my problem.

I also checked out that link above, I dont have $350.00 to fix this can you regament anything cheaper. Should I just look for a "front rebuild kit"

JAWZ