Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

245/50VR16 Tires for 1982 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82 Ponitac Firebird
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 4L60e/TCI TCU
Axle/Gears: 2.73
245/50VR16 Tires for 1982 Firebird

Hi everyone,
I'm getting vary close in bring my 1982 Firebird home. We have discovered a problem with the Wheel/Tire combination. The tire are rubbering the frame at the end of suspension traval lock to lock on both sides,

I have had 235/60R15 tires and 15x8 wheels and didn't have any problems!

SOME FACTs
The car was hit back in November by a person who ran a stop sign. It has been completly rebuilt with all OEM new original parts. All parts of the front susupension was replace along with the cross member. The frame has been laser align ETC. The TDS wonder bar, and Hotchins(SP) STB alignes up perfectly. The front end alignment came in right on the money. So the car is perfect. I also have had Spohn SFCs welded onto the car. The car is lowered with Eback, has Spohn adjustable panhard bar, and LCA relocation brackets. I will do the rest of the suspension upgrade at a later date.

Some Third Gen History:
I have reviewed the history section of this forum!

1) The 245/50VR16 tires was an option on the 1984 TransAm
2) The 245/50V16 Gator-back tires was firs available on the IROC in 1985, one year after it was available on the TransAm They also had the 2.25 lock to lock steering box on the Iroc in 1985.
3) The 2.25 lock to lock steering box was never available on any Firebird/TranAm
4) The 2.25 lock to lock steering box has internal stops to prevent the tire rubbing on the Iroc.
5) The Trans Am only uses the 2.5 lock to lock steering box and this box has no internal stops.

So I need some real accurate information, no guessing here guys. So if anyone out there who has a 1994 TransAm with the 245/50VR16 tires could answer the following question.

What are suspension mods that Ponitac did to the 1984 TransAm to fit the 245/50VR16 tires on the car?

So far I have discovered that there a different LOWER CONTROL ARM BUMPER is being used! Is this it?

I have gone with the 2.5 lock to lock steering box which was orginal equipment on 82-83 Trans-Am.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Chevy Camaro Z28
Engine: 305, 4bbl, A/C, T-Tops
Transmission: 700R4 4speed Automatic
You didn't mention what wheels you are using, if they are the 16" factory wheels, they are marked FRONT and REAR respectively and I believe you can't swap them because of different offset... I recall having to use a set of Corvette tires 255/50-16 on my IROC's factory 16" wheels with no problems whatsoever... hope it's nothing more serious that wrong side (front <---> rear) wheels...
Old 08-25-2003, 07:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
"3) The 2.25 lock to lock steering box was never available on any Firebird/TranAm"

I hate to tell you this but thats my 1987 Trans-AM CAME with this. WS6 cars got it. Also cars equipped with 245/50VR16 tires and crosslace or Formula rims got them.

In fact I replaced my steering gear just recently. It sure IS the 2.25 turns lock to lock. I had a helluva time finding a replacement part to match it. Subsequently it came from a Iroc Z28. So I know both cars had them.

Two friends of mine also have birds/variants. One has a 1991 GTA and it has the 2.25 ratio steering gear. Also a friend with a 1987 Formula Firebird has the 2.25 ratio box as well.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Tibey
You didn't mention what wheels you are using, if they are the 16" factory wheels, they are marked FRONT and REAR respectively and I believe you can't swap them because of different offset... I recall having to use a set of Corvette tires 255/50-16 on my IROC's factory 16" wheels with no problems whatsoever... hope it's nothing more serious that wrong side (front <---> rear) wheels...
No there are not factory 16 inch wheels. I got the wheels from Tirerack. They are supposed to have the corrent offset. A pair of spaces came with the wheels for the front end. But when I put the spaces on the tire would hit the front edge of the fenders. After remving the spaces the only problem is rubbing on the frame when I at full lock.

I called Tirerack today, and the guy is reserching the problem.
Even without the spaces on the front the front wheel still set out further then the rear wheels. a bout a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I thinking maybe a thinner spacer up front may just fix the problem.

As far as the 2.25 turn box not being on the Firebird, I was using the history page on this forum and some other sources including part houses. No one every listed the 2.25 turn box.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Bone stock some thirdgen's would rub the tires a little bit. It became more of a problem with aftermarket tires. Actual tire width varies from brand to brand and tire type. When the first set of tires were burned off and the replacements were slightly wider, the tires would rub at full lock. It's not really a problem unless you drive constant circles with it rubbing. Yes the different steering box would help, but some still rubbed. 2.25 isn't the ratio, simply how far the wheel would turn from lock to lock. That isn't as important as how far the front wheels are allowed to turn. The 'better' boxes had different stops(or so I hear). The quicker ratio box has to have different stops because with a quicker ratio the same amount of turn on the steering wheel turns the front wheels even more--compared to the regular box. Which would result in a terrible rub. Anyway, you may have a hard time fixing a problem that happen to these cars brand new--especially with aftermarket wheels. I would just live with it, and don't turn so hard.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by 82camaro
Bone stock some thirdgen's would rub the tires a little bit. It became more of a problem with aftermarket tires. Actual tire width varies from brand to brand and tire type. When the first set of tires were burned off and the replacements were slightly wider, the tires would rub at full lock. It's not really a problem unless you drive constant circles with it rubbing. Yes the different steering box would help, but some still rubbed. 2.25 isn't the ratio, simply how far the wheel would turn from lock to lock. That isn't as important as how far the front wheels are allowed to turn. The 'better' boxes had different stops(or so I hear). The quicker ratio box has to have different stops because with a quicker ratio the same amount of turn on the steering wheel turns the front wheels even more--compared to the regular box. Which would result in a terrible rub. Anyway, you may have a hard time fixing a problem that happen to these cars brand new--especially with aftermarket wheels. I would just live with it, and don't turn so hard.
Thanks!
I am wondering if I can install differant stops in the quick ratio box. Does anyone have any ideals. Does anyone know where I can order the 2.25 turn lock to lock steering box?

Last edited by BruceEmbry; 08-25-2003 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: LTX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 strengthed 7.5 inch
My 82 rubbed with 245 16s.. funnily enough it doesn't rub at all with 275-40-17s on firehawk rims..

if the rubbing isn't bad it won't hurt anything.. the "stops" for our cars wheel turn is actually a little ear on the a-arm that stops the spindle.. there was a different one for cars equipped with 16s from the factory..

as for steering boxes.. mine was going out and I replaced it with the "high performance" unit from carparts.com.. turned out that was the better ws6 box.. for about 160..
Old 08-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
both my boxes were the same. My first factory one had issues then I replaced it with the same part from a Z28. No rubs. 2.25 lock to lock.

My car was equipped with factory 16 inch wheels. As was the Iroc Z28 that the new part came out of.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by 87WS6
both my boxes were the same. My first factory one had issues then I replaced it with the same part from a Z28. No rubs. 2.25 lock to lock.

My car was equipped with factory 16 inch wheels. As was the Iroc Z28 that the new part came out of.
As everyone knows, the 2.25 turn box has internal stops to prevent the rubbing. Unfortunly the 2.25 turn box is not available as a new OEM part. I wanted new parts because, sometime the rebuilt parts do not last.

Anyway I will be putting a lot more miles on my Bird. These cars are made to be driven. After owning my Bird for 21 years, I have determine that some of these aftermarket rebuilt parts do not hold up like new OEM parts. As long as I can get new OEM parts I will keep on buying.

The steering box I have is listed by some people a 2.5 to 3.0 turn lock to lock and listed by others as 2.5 turn lock to lock. If I hold the max turns to 2.5 then there is no rubbing. So I will contact my suppler tommarrow and found out why its turning 3 turns lock to lock. I thinking there is adjustment on the box that causes it to turn 3 turns lock to lock.