Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Brake fluid flushing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z - original owner!
Engine: LB9 with K&Ns, MSD, Foil, Taylor
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt, 3.45 posi
Brake fluid flushing

Yo guys, car is an 88 IROC with 4-wheel disc. I've never flushed the brake fluid since I've had the car (bought it brand new in 88). I think it's way overdue. I want to replace the fluid with Valvoline Synpower fluid, it gets good recommendations over on the BITOG forum.

So, I can use a turkey baster to suck out all the fluid in the master cylinder, and then refill it with fresh. But what about the brake lines and caliper pistons? What do you guys do?

I know not to get brake fluid on the paint.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2004, 03:26 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah you can do that and then bleed the system to get the rest of the old fluid out, or have someone with a pressure bleeder do it
Old 03-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Yes...
Engine: Last time I checked...
Transmission: See "Engine"...
Re: Brake fluid flushing

Originally posted by Tremo
Yo guys, car is an 88 IROC with 4-wheel disc. I've never flushed the brake fluid since I've had the car (bought it brand new in 88). I think it's way overdue. I want to replace the fluid with Valvoline Synpower fluid, it gets good recommendations over on the BITOG forum.

So, I can use a turkey baster to suck out all the fluid in the master cylinder, and then refill it with fresh. But what about the brake lines and caliper pistons? What do you guys do?

I know not to get brake fluid on the paint.

Thanks!
You got it. Use a turkey baster to remove the old fluid from the master cylinder, then re-fill it with fresh fluid. The next step is to bleed the brakes to remove the remaining old fluid from the lines. Start at the right rear wheel, move the to left rear, then right front, and do the left front last.

Use clear tubing so you can see the color of the fluid as you bleed each wheel. You'll be able to see when the old fluid is out of the system.

To bleed the brakes you can use the "buddy" method where a friend slowly presses the brake pedal while you operate the bleeder valves or you can use a vacuum bleeder like a Phoenix Injector or Mighty Vac.

A third option would be to buy some Earl's (NOT Russell) "speed bleeders". These are replacement bleeder valves that have an internal check valve so you can bleed the brakes by yourself by simply pumping the brake pedal. I've never tried them so I don't know how good they are. I did try the Russell version once and they were junk.

Whichever method you choose, be sure to watch the level in the master cylinder so that you don't pump the system dry and get air in the lines. Not a major catastrophy, but you'll have to start the bleeding process all over at that point.

I just completely flushed my brake system as part of my 1LE brake upgrade and went with the Valvoline Synpower fluid. So far I like it.

Last edited by BretD 88GTA; 03-30-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
easiest (and its cheap) one man bleeding way is to use speed bleeders.

they're bleeder screws with one way check valves in them... buy 4 speed bleeders, then put them in your calipers... tighten them all, then crack one open a couple turns.. (passenger side rear)

then pump the pedal.
add more fluid

repeat until its flushed clean...

then tighten that caliper and move on to the next... you should be able to do all 4 in about 10 mins.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:54 PM

Car: 88 IROC-Z - original owner!
Engine: LB9 with K&Ns, MSD, Foil, Taylor
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt, 3.45 posi
Thanks guys. Any info on the speed bleeders, where to get them? Link? Price?

Oh, BTW, I did read on another forum that someone had problems with them leaking. What have been your observations?

Thanks again.