Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Best suspension upgrades for Irocs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: L03 (want LS1)
Transmission: 700R-4 (and T56)
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.23 posi
Re: Best suspension upgrades for Irocs?

I meant getting the weight jacks without wanting to lower the carwould be pointless Yeah, without lowering the car the car will want to roll more.
Here's a quote from Frrax talkinga bout body roll and how it's controlled:
Originally Posted by tracbird (frrax.com)
Ok, when you turn the wheel, the tires point a new direction and they start moving, the tires try to "drive out from under" the body, so the body begins to roll as the vehicle changes direction. If we had no shocks and no sway bars on the car, it would just "flop" over to the outside and bounce off of the springs. Once we add shocks to the car, the rebound slows the rate at which the body can "flop" over on the springs and therefore limits how fast the car rolls over. Adding sway bars, we now have something to limit that body roll (total roll). So, as the car rolls, the springs and sway bars limit the total body roll (in degrees per "G" of cornering grip), and the shocks control how fast that roll happens. When the body rolls, one side of the car will rise, that extends the shocks. If the shock has a lot of rebound damping, it can't rise as quickly. So, the car rolls less quickly. In a fast transition, the rebound of the shocks might provide most of the roll resistance because the car may not roll enough to really work the spring/sway bars. Think of a very quick flick of the wheel one way and then the other. It's late and I'm still not explaining this very well. If that doesn't help, maybe someone will come through and try a different angle.
I'm not sure how the negitive camber would affect the roll... I need to look into that. And, yes, getting the unsprung weight as low as possible is what you want.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: A Camaro
Engine: Weak
Transmission: Weaker

91_5.7_TPI, the link you posted is to a coilover conversion kit, not Ground Control's weight jacker kit. The weight jacker kit utilizes the factory spring position. Also, be careful with the square tubing vs circular tubing for SFC's. Although on a micro scale, circular tubing is more resistant to torsional loading than circular tubing, you have to look at how the car actually flexes. I think you'd be extremely hard pressed to find any torsional loading in a typical SFC installation where the main rail is run front to back along the rocker panels. The majority of the loading will be bending which rectangular tubing is more efficient per pound. Everything else looks good though! Best of luck!

Tony
Old 12-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: L03 (want LS1)
Transmission: 700R-4 (and T56)
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.23 posi

That's the kit you need for the weight jacks. It's called a coilover kit... not really sure why.
There was a lenghty discussion about rectangular vs tubular on FRRAX recently. That left more confused than I was before. You're right about the rectangular, but there was discussion about how the SFCs mount and how they are acted upon by the chassis. I'm sure that any SFC is better than not having any and the difference in stiffness might not even be detectable without the correct mechanism to measure it.