Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Who knows Sway Bars ???

Old 07-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Who knows Sway Bars ???

Can anyone ID this front Sway Bar ??

It's an adjustable sway bar that's 32 mm and a solid bar design. The adjustment is made at the "end link" bracket,...... the swivel mounted links can be moved into any of 3 different mounting holes in the link brackets. The other end of the link is connected to the bar with a "U" clamp.

Notice that the bar has no holes at either end.........

Anyone know who made this ???

PS: This linked image is only appearing in about 1/2 size Cut paste this link to view imaage in full size......

http://berlinetta.info/temp/SwayBarFront32MMSolid.jpg

Old 07-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Who knows Sway Bars ???

Well it doesnt look like the Herb adams bar ive seen. Doesn't look like the ground control conversion kit ive seen either.

Maybe Rancho or Guldstrand? Or some do it yourselfer? Im interested to find out as well.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I'm thinking that is a race only piece out of a circle track (or road race) shop.

Rancho and Guldstrand made street bars with holes in factory positions that were beefier than stock.

Ground Control uses bars (if my memory is correct) with 3 holes per side for tuning.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 AM

Car: 88 Formula
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

That's an old Rancho piece. They made a whole suspension kit with bars, shocks, springs that included that adjustable bar. They were available in the early-mid eighties and the kit was pretty expensive so they never sold very many of them. All the Rancho stuff was red btw. Don't know if they're any better than the big bars that came on the later third gens but it's still a neat piece to have-I love adjustable stuff. Nice score!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Supreme Member

Thanx for the input guys,........

I found this in a car that was already flat and stacked on a scrap pile. The rear bar and all 4 springs were still in the car as well ( All red - looked like a matched set ) but because the car was stacked - there was no way to pull the rest out. I was lucky in that the nose was sticking out a little and I was JUST barely able to get this bar off !

Old 07-15-2008, 10:15 AM

That basically is just a normal solid swaybar with the ends hacked off. It can be done with any swaybar.For those that do not know, the end links are simply clapped closer up the bar towards the center to increase bar stiffness. That bar probably adjusts from a 32mm to a 38mm range. Biggest trick is scaling the car to make sure the bar preload is equal on both sides sitting on a PERFECTLY flat surface.It is easy to make a mistake and have one end mounted further up than the other even though the links are not preloaded- HOWEVER- this tool can also be used to help set corner weight "dynamic loads" to change things both left and right cornering- Very complicated, but basically you have to remember your cars Cg is off to the left with driver weight so your "symetrical roll factors are not so called symetrical in both left and right chassis roll and travel.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro
Engine: 327
Transmission: TH700-R4
Axle/Gears: 7.5" 3.23 Posi

I have Rancho adjustable front and rear stabilizer bars. Unfortunately, the instruction sheet that came with the kit had no information at all about the stabilizers except a couple of exploded view drawings and parts list.

What would be a good starting point for setting up the suspension?

I have read that the end links for the front bar should be adjusted so the ends of the bar are parallel to the ground. Beyond that, I have not been able to find anything on TGO but I'm still trying.

TIA for all replies!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird SE
Engine: C5 LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Vetruck leaves out the oval track option of using a chain on one end of the sway bar. That way it only works in one direction!!!!! (I've seen cars set up this way, but never wanted to try it myself- I think it is a Tennessee thing. V can tell us if it gets used out there too).
I have Rancho trailing arms and a Rancho Panhard. They are gold. I remember they had lots of other stuff, but I never saw any.
I think you want to put the ends the same distance from the end of the bar. Then you want to scale (and adjust) the car with one side disconnected. Then you want to duplicate those numbers with both sides of the bar connected. That will give you a neutral setup for your bar. V can probably give you lots of options for a non neutral sway bar setup. This is mostly race stuff and mostly big car oval. Neutral should do well on the street.

PS- the shorter the arm length on the sway bar, the stiffer it is (less leverage on the bar). You can fine tune your bars stiffness that way- that, of course, is the why of the ends.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 trans am
Engine: 1973 sbc 350 now 383 stroker
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: dana 44 f.body 3.31 gears.

Originally Posted by John in RI
Can anyone ID this front Sway Bar ??

It's an adjustable sway bar that's 32 mm and a solid bar design. The adjustment is made at the "end link" bracket,...... the swivel mounted links can be moved into any of 3 different mounting holes in the link brackets. The other end of the link is connected to the bar with a "U" clamp.

Notice that the bar has no holes at either end.........

Anyone know who made this ???

PS: This linked image is only appearing in about 1/2 size Cut paste this link to view imaage in full size......

http://berlinetta.info/temp/SwayBarFront32MMSolid.jpg

I have just stumbled across this old thread looking for any info for my car to. I have the whole kit in my car that I bought off my brother. he has had this 1983 trans am is storage for 25 years and I bought it off him. it has the rancho adjustable sway bar kit and lowered 1.5" it is just as nice as the day he installed the system. I can get the part numbers off it if any one or you would want them. I am looking for anyone that could tell me about how to adjust it. thanks guys. restoring the car as we speak
Old 10-21-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird SE
Engine: C5 LS1
Transmission: 6 speed

GOOD score!
Rancho stuff. Still have my Rancho trailing arms on. Panhard replaced with an adjustable one.
My car is an 83 S/E. There are a few early 3 Gens around TGO. I think most have been in the owner's family for a while.
Originally 305 with Qudrajet, 4 wheel discs, and 5 speed.
Now with real brakes, LS1, and 6 speed (short version of mods...LOL).

Not sure how those bars adjust but, the shorter the mount is away from the bar, the stiffer the bar.
Post a couple of pics of the bars.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Flip 2
GOOD score!
Rancho stuff. Still have my Rancho trailing arms on. Panhard replaced with an adjustable one.
My car is an 83 S/E. There are a few early 3 Gens around TGO. I think most have been in the owner's family for a while.
Originally 305 with Qudrajet, 4 wheel discs, and 5 speed.
Now with real brakes, LS1, and 6 speed (short version of mods...LOL).

Not sure how those bars adjust but, the shorter the mount is away from the bar, the stiffer the bar.
Post a couple of pics of the bars.
sorry it took so long to check to see if anyone responded I have been wrenching on the 83 t.a at my shop late into the night! Every night. lol currently I have the gas tank out and all the suspension to. I am cleaning it all up and repainting the rancho parts to. thanks for the adjust tip. when reinstalling I will keep that in mind. hey could I ask another question pls. the springs are rancho as well and like I said the car has been sitting on them in the same garaged spot for 25 years! im replacing the shocks of course but are the springs still ok from just sitting? and what brand of shocks are good for street/strip use on the 83 t.a? its also lowerd 1.5 or 2" would that make a difference in selecting a shock? thanks
Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Supreme Member

I Just found the orignal pic on my hard-drive and uploaded it so it would display here once again.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by John in RI
I Just found the orignal pic on my hard-drive and uploaded it so it would display here once again.

yup that's exactly the bar I have! thanks
Old 06-29-2018, 04:53 PM

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 406 SBC Supercharged
Transmission: 700R4

In the 80's I worked in a shop that carried Rancho parts. I have the kit on my car. Check this thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...ml#post6232623

Last edited by blownzed; 06-29-2018 at 11:22 PM. Reason: concision