Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

front trick spring drop when settling

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front trick spring drop when settling

I just installed a set of moroso trick springs, i cut a coil and a 1/2 off I jacked up the rear and plan to leave it for a coupe weeks... what drop have you guys seen after the springs have settled a bit? or should i leave it longer?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:30 PM

Re: front trick spring drop when settling

Leave it sit longer? Are you thinking you are curing something till it hardens? I'm puzzled by what you mean.

Only thing I can figure is possibly the Moroso springs where much longer than stock so you trimmed them down but it is still to high. You now plan on whaiting to see how they settle.

This crap about springs settling, I don't get it. I hear alot of banter about this always. People, it takes a few years for springs to loose tension and it really is not that drastic even when it does. Just cut them, install them, drive the car around the block- you are there! If it is still too high, then cut them more, reinstall and drive around the block again to settle the chassis.

The chassis will settle in ONE lap around the block!

Last edited by Vetruck; 02-25-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 PM

To add to this, We test spring rates once a year to have them re-rated at the state of the season. They stay amazingly constant even on a car that see as much force in 15 races as a regular car sees 50,000 miles. We pull over 2g's.......constantly (You know JayJay...."nother left turn, 'nother left turn")

Anyways, the only thing we change twice a year is the front swaybar. We run a spec bar and that bar turn after turn after turn after turn (I think I am making my point) is leaning on it and it will bend away loosing tention till we start running out of preload. We run probably 300 laps a month, thats 300 leftsat over 2g's each- whens the last time your street car did that in its lifetime.

Don;t worry about springs needing to sag and settle for a few months.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 V8
Transmission: Auto

my springs are the orignal ones on the car the back seems to have settled about 1.5 inches in the rear and 1 in the front so i wouldn't expect your going to see much of a change any time soon