Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

spohn tubular front end with coil overs? or something else.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Camaro
Engine: 355ci
Transmission: TKO-600 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
spohn tubular front end with coil overs? or something else.

So i have some decisions to make and am looking for opinions.

Long story short my k-member is damaged and needs replacing. My suspension is also sagged 20 year old suspension with garbage shocks.

This car is a weekend warrior, that is going to be built for autocrossing primarily, with the occasional trip to the drag strip just for giggles.

I had wanted to wait for the UMI k-member to come out but i think i'm done holding my breath for that piece.

The spohn design just doesnt look as beefy but im wondering if ordered with full bracing if anyone has broken one yet? if not i guess it doesnt matter.

My other question is whether the full coil over kit from spohn is worth it.

Motor in sig im thinking is going to put me in the fully modified class anyways so i might as well do whatever is going to make it handle the best.

anyone heard of first hand comparisons or have any info on how that coil over setup is going to handle compared to spring boxes with weight jacks?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: spohn tubular front end with coil overs? or something else.

the coil-overs work well, but limit the size of the front wheels. Im thinking about selling my front kit and going to weight jacks.

I would say go with the weight jacks, in the front at least.
As for the k-member, i dont like Spohns, too many complaints, im still waiting for UMI.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

what are the sort of complaints with it? i havent been paying much attention to my third gen in the last year so im a little out of the loop.

i like the way it changes the geometry with the coil overs in the front but limiting the wheel size is definitely a downer.

i NEED a k-member asap so i might just have to swap a stock one in until umi comes out with theirs, if they come out with theirs lol.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

okay so i'm staying away from coil overs because of the tire/wheel limiting factor.

Wondering what the real benefit of going with weight jacks is over just going with a pro-kit.

Youre getting a solid state spring that looks to me like the more you lower the vehicle the more it gets compressed and stiffens. Not seeing the point of them.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Originally Posted by 19doug90
okay so i'm staying away from coil overs because of the tire/wheel limiting factor.

Wondering what the real benefit of going with weight jacks is over just going with a pro-kit.

Youre getting a solid state spring that looks to me like the more you lower the vehicle the more it gets compressed and stiffens. Not seeing the point of them.
the spring is compressed the same amount irregardless of the ride height. The weight jacks use a shorter spring and an adjustable perch so you can set the right height you want with the spring rate you want or need.

the adjustability will help you tune the suspension and balance the cars weight at the corners

Really no reason to use them unless you are a handling ****, i just like adjustable parts, but if the car is for autocross, and you can use them per the rules, than they are a good choice
Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

im still trying to get clarification on the rules.

have a mild 355 (heads,cam intake) with an aftermarket transmission and i THINK that puts me all the way in street modified so i dont think it matters much what i do suspension wise. Would be nice to stay in street prepared but i think the heads? put me in modified.

so if im in street modified i can do whatever is going to make me the fastest. I want to run big rims probably as of next summer so the jacks seem like a better option then going with the coil overs anyways.

and i guess the nice thing about the jacks is i can raise it for the street and drop it when racing. Be nice to know how lowering the cars with the jacks effects things like wheel center and other things i dont understand.

Should they maybe be used in conjunction with something like the spohn adjustable upper strut mount. See that ground control also sells a camber/caster plate system but dont get how it works, not sure if that might be worth looking at?

need to make a decision by tomorrow morning so i can order some stuff. If i do decide on the weight jacks any suggestion on spring rate? i'll get their opinion too but would like someone elses opinion. Going to be running agx's and dont really care how harsh the ride is on the street. It would be setup low for the track and raised on the street for the LT's.

Last edited by 19doug90; 06-23-2009 at 04:49 PM.