Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

what to replace and improve ride?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: BMW 330i ///M Sport
Engine: M54 DOHC I6
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Stock
what to replace and improve ride?

the 92 camaro rs we have has the original suspension, everything on it is from the factory and it rides rough. i know they are supposed to ride like bricks but there is quite a bit of play in the steering and over bumps and railroad tracks it doesnt feel very solid. it has 130k miles on it and we are pretty sure its had at least one teenage owner before we got it. it was pretty poorly mantained so were wondering what you would all recommend should be done to make this car ride like new again?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: what to replace and improve ride?

Originally Posted by J91Camaro
the 92 camaro rs we have has the original suspension, everything on it is from the factory and it rides rough. it was pretty poorly mantained so were wondering what you would all recommend should be done to make this car ride like new again?
Tires, struts, shocks (and perhaps upper strut mounts and springs). Replace bushings with rubber.

Consider a new idler arm, center link and tie rods as well as ball joints. Adjusting the steering box will also probably be helpful.

JamesC
Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 PM

Car: BMW 330i ///M Sport
Engine: M54 DOHC I6
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by JamesC
Tires, struts, shocks (and perhaps upper strut mounts and springs). Replace bushings with rubber.

Consider a new idler arm, center link and tie rods as well as ball joints. Adjusting the steering box will also probably be helpful.

JamesC
thanks wow thats a good $3,000 worth...
Old 11-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Hello
Just another suggestion for you other than springs and shocks! I would suggest looking to see what type of shape your bushings are in the lower control arms and pan hard rod. And to allow the car to feel more solid I would suggest just replace both with our aftermarket replacement rear end kits they feature poly bushings that are grease able. Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...jorln1qh1u8qj5

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by J91Camaro
thanks wow thats a good $3,000 worth...
You'll learn a bunch and save some dough if you do the work yourself--and it's not rocket science. Suspension pieces are typically unbolt, bolt up. That said, tools and a garage are helpful .

JamesC
Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1991 RS Camaro
Engine: L03 (want LS1)
Transmission: 700R-4 (and T56)
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 3.23 posi

I don't think you would spend $3000 on shocks, struts, bushings, and the steering components if you shop around and not buy the most expensive stuff. Although, labor costs would be kinda high, but that's just motivation for me to do it myself lol. I have about $3500 in my suspension, and I have alot more than just shocks, springs, steering, and bushings.

Last edited by 91_5.7_TPI; 11-18-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 AM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: 305 TBI (lo3)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Whatever is stock.

I have a lot of play from my idler arm and my center link. I don't have a heck of a lot of money and already got screwed by Firestone as they did a alignment when I changed struts and didn't check anything. I wonder if I can get away with not getting yet another alignment if I just changed the two parts? If I have to get another alignment I may as well just replace everything.

The problem I have is that the car bounces in the front over 60mph due to the play. The car is a daily driver now. The only reason I would think I would need an alignment is that the new center link might not be the exact same length as the original. Any input?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by STRIKER911
The problem I have is that the car bounces in the front over 60mph due to the play. The car is a daily driver now. The only reason I would think I would need an alignment is that the new center link might not be the exact same length as the original. Any input?
I'm not sure why the car would bounce with slop in the idler arm and center link. The center link will be the same length as the old--it would have to be to fit both the idler and pitman. You'll need an alignment.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 11-23-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 AM

I'm not sure why the car would bounce with slop in the idler arm and center link. The center link will be the same length as the old--it would have to be to fit both the idler and pitman. You'll need an alignment.

JamesC
Ya the wheel turns back and forth under heavy braking & when it shakes down the hwy its the same movement just not as bad. If the car would need an alignment from changing the center link that has no adjusment then that tells me they are not going to be the exact same size. Otherwise I could put the car on ramps to make sure nothing moves and just change it. Adjustment is in the tie rods.

Has anyone tried that?

I can buy a front end kit on ebay but then id still need the strut bearings and springs in order to get everything at once. That means instead of under $100 id be looking at over $600 if I change it all myself & align it at the shop. This is why its a fairly important thing to get rite. If I buy the kit it comes with a idler arm and center link.

Does anyone have any feedback on mcquary noris parts?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:17 AM

I recently replaced the idler arm and center link (replacing both at once seems cost efficient). Though I didn't adjust the tie rods whatsoever, toe still required adjustment.

JamesC
Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 PM

I recently replaced the idler arm and center link (replacing both at once seems cost efficient). Though I didn't adjust the tie rods whatsoever, toe still required adjustment.

JamesC
K thanks. I am waiting for Firestone's district mgr to call me back. I may be able to get another alignment for free since they aligned a car with worn parts. I thought it was just the tires till I got new ones. They should have seen the worn parts upon inspection, and I would have known to fix then align. Not align fix then align again. Stupid people.

Edit: Ha just got off the phone with the guy and he tried to screw me. He was like well we dont do inspections unless u ask for it. LMAO! Guess he didnt know the service his own company performs. Distract mgr lol. I was like now wait a min man. RIght on ur website the first thing is says in the service description for an alignment is inspection! His attitude changed then. I got a free alignment coming my way! Rock on.

Last edited by STRIKER911; 11-23-2009 at 12:17 PM.