Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

'85 TransAm needs fnt coil springs, rear struts, and muffler. Advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'85 TransAm needs fnt coil springs, rear struts, and muffler. Advice please?

I have a 1985 Pontiac Trans Am with a 305(4-barrel-carbeurated) HO. I purchased is used for $1,200 about a year ago. I've replaced the alternator, battery, starter, a headlight, upper radiator hose, thermostat (and gasket), thermostat housing, all spark plugs and spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotar, and just put new tires on her all the way around.

I went to a mechanic to have the car looked over to see what needs to be replaced, and I was given a laundry list of parts and labor she was going to "need".

Firstly, I want you to know that I'm not great mechanice, but I've done all of the work on this car as far as things that I've replaced (besides mounting and balancing the tires), so I know enough basic stuff to get by. I have also installed a 2.25" drop kit in an RSX I had previously (which took me about three times the estimated time to complete the job).

I was curious that if these things need replacing, which parts can I buy that are quality yet affordable and which, if any, of these jobs I could probably handle myself. Keep in mind that my driving style is a bit harsh, I love to drift EVERYTHING in the Winter snow (I live in NY), I may also use this car in autoX someday. With these things in mind, your opinions on the following jobs would be much appreciated:

I need new front coil springs (passenger side is broken), mechanic said should get them both.
The mechanic said parts and labor: Front: $477.49, Rear: $280.39, Total: $757.88

I need a new ball joint for the front passenger side.
The mechanic said parts and labor: $151.69

I "need" new rear struts (because of a badly worn bushing, which I'm wondering if all that is needed to be replaced is the bushing?) Mechanic says if replace rear struts, should replace front shocks as well...
The mechanic said parts and labor: Rear: $349.48, Front: $212.63, Total: $552.11

I need a new Exhaust System from the Cat-back, including a new flange (or weld on the previous one).
The Mechanic said parts and labor : $509.75

Obviously, after all of this suspension work, I'm going to need an alignment. I know I can't do that myself, so:
The mechanic said labor costs: $89.99

This leaves the subtotal to a whopping:
$2,061.42
After the sales tax of $154.61, the grand total comes to:
$2,216.03

This is wayy out of my budget currently. I'll make a budget as I go, right now I'm saving money up for these parts and won't be able to do anything for a couple of months probably.
If anybody could supply some advice including any of the following, you'll be doing me a great service and I appreciate it a whole lot:

Should strut be replaced, or just bushing?

Which jobs are the most important, what should I take care of immediately?

What are some good options for parts that will add better performance for getting the car sideways as well as being semi-balanced for autoX racing (neither are in extremely near future, but I figure if I'm going to replace them, I may as well do it only once).

Also, of these aftermarket parts, what parts can I purchase and from where, for a quality part that is affordable.

Lastly, which of these jobs are simple enough for someone who has only done basic car work (such as the work I've mentioned, as well as oil changes and brakes), only has a tool set consisting of about 200 pieces (though I can rent tools from Advanced Autoparts), and has a decent amount of common sense?

Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

-Mike

Last edited by mjlecesse; 03-07-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: '85 TransAm needs fnt coil springs, rear struts, and muffler. Advice please?

Mike, welcome to TGO. I'd run like my pants were on fire from the mechanic you visited. Many of the things he suggested you can do yourself with basic hand tools. Springs, for example. The fronts are a bit dangerous, but certainly not the rear, which darn near fall out when the rear is dropped. You can purchase a set of Moog replacements for around a $100. The same goes for front struts and rear shocks. The struts take a bit more effort, but they're doable. The rears are a walk in the park. Cost for Monroes can't be more than $200 or so. Check the cost for a moderately priced catback. Alignment here is $50.

A search on TGO will generally turn up the specific info you require.

BTW, at the very least, especially if you're uncomfortable with doing the work yourself, I'd consult another mechanic.

JamesC
Old 03-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion
Re: '85 TransAm needs fnt coil springs, rear struts, and muffler. Advice please?

Originally Posted by JamesC
Mike, welcome to TGO. I'd run like my pants were on fire from the mechanic you visited. Many of the things he suggested you can do yourself with basic hand tools. Springs, for example. The fronts are a bit dangerous, but certainly not the rear, which darn near fall out when the rear is dropped. You can purchase a set of Moog replacements for around a $100. The same goes for front struts and rear shocks. The struts take a bit more effort, but they're doable. The rears are a walk in the park. Cost for Monroes can't be more than $200 or so. Check the cost for a moderately priced catback. Alignment here is $50.

A search on TGO will generally turn up the specific info you require.

BTW, at the very least, especially if you're uncomfortable with doing the work yourself, I'd consult another mechanic.

JamesC
exactly what i was goind to say

with some basic tools, jackstands, jack and some time, you can do all this work yourself. Might be a little tough getting some of the bolts out without air tools, but for 2k, you can buy all the parts and all the tools you need and do the job yourself anyway.

I would start getting familiar with doing your own work, you can save a lot of money that way.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I thought so. Like I said, I replaced the springs in my '04 RSX with 2.25" drop springs, and that was not a tough job. Just wanted to consult with others who have lengthy experience on these sorts of cars, before I tackled this project. I could tell that the guy was charging wayyy too much money, but I wasn't sure how much he was overcharging. BTW, what do you guys know of KYB shocks and struts? Are they worth putting into a trans am?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 Trans Am / 96 Jeep XJ
Engine: 355 / 4.0 I6
Transmission: TH350 / Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt / 4wd

Originally Posted by mjlecesse
Thanks guys. I thought so. Like I said, I replaced the springs in my '04 RSX with 2.25" drop springs, and that was not a tough job. Just wanted to consult with others who have lengthy experience on these sorts of cars, before I tackled this project. I could tell that the guy was charging wayyy too much money, but I wasn't sure how much he was overcharging. BTW, what do you guys know of KYB shocks and struts? Are they worth putting into a trans am?
I have done almost all that you listed, and trust me, it is not hard, and certainly not worth orver $2k. I bought KYB Gr2 shocks from ebay, and I am happy with them, also bought lowering springs from ebay, as I am a 'budget builder'.

With that said, just scour the internet for the best deals, and have a friend help with the front springs and struts, they are a pain, and the rears are extremely simple.

Good Luck!