Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Front brakes damm!t

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2000, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front brakes damm!t

well i knew i need a rotor on my 91 Z28 so i boutght one along w/ new pads.. but as i dove into the project i was happy , yet befudlled, that i only needed to replace one side of pads. the drivers side has plenty of meat left on them but the pass side was done for(incl the cracked rotor). the car stopps straight but i cant ever find a smooth road in my area to test that "scientificly". Ususally it pulls because of the ruts on our worn out POS roads. Also.. on the rear drums ... the brakes are supposed to be self adj, but i would like to take them a little higher. if i do it manually , will they reset themselves or will they stay where i put them?
Old 09-15-2000, 12:43 PM

It sounds like your pass. side caliper is hung up on the guild pins and not sliding freely. When you apply the brakes, it is works fine as both are applying with the same presure but when you release the pedal, the pass side one does not full release and drags. This would cause it to wear faster then the other side. Most of the time the pins the caliper rides on gets crap on them and the metal bushings don't slide freely. This would be where I would start looking. New pins are like $7.00 per pair (two per caliper needed). Check that out. Good luck.

------------------
Mike Schwartz aka chevymike
'92 Z28, 5.7, Teal Hardtop

"Don't Outlaw High Performance Cars,
Outlaw Low Performance Drivers!"
Mike's Camaro Z28
Old 09-15-2000, 04:40 PM

If you try to tighten up the drums all they'll do is drag and wear out. They self adjust everytime you backup and hit the brakes.

------------------
'87GTA w/ SLP Cold Air, MSD Coil, Airfoil, Gutted MAF, AFPR, TES Headers, HI-FLOW CAT, Flowmaster Catback, Energy Suspension Master Bushing Kit
Old 09-15-2000, 06:35 PM

Alrighty.. ill let you guys know in a week or so how it is doing , but when i installed the pads on the pass side .. i did like i normally do and chucked up the pins in the lathe and polished them.. should be okay now.. i am gonna do the drivers side for good measure.

jay - i ask because when i hit the brake , it doesnt seem to work as good as it should in the rear. on ice or whatnot in winter(yes, i get stuck driving it sometimes, not a regular car, only when i need it) if i have my foot firm on the pedal, the rears wont hold. thats why i thought i dcould adjust them. any more info is appreciated