Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Sharp slow speed turning issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharp slow speed turning issue

When I'm on pavement and moving very slow like trying to get into a parking spot, and I have the wheels almost completely turn, I notice the tires grind on the pavement and even kind of jump and skip. Its like at full turn the wheels aren't pointing the same direction. But it also did it on my 4th gen camaro and my trailblazer too. Is this just a normal thing or can it be fixed by an alignment? It doesn't seem very out of line when I'm driving straight. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: Sharp slow speed turning issue

Originally Posted by DirtDawg57
When I'm on pavement and moving very slow like trying to get into a parking spot, and I have the wheels almost completely turn, I notice the tires grind on the pavement and even kind of jump and skip.
Normal.

The following is from How to Tune and Modify your 1982-1998 Camaro by Jason Scott:

"The problem stems from high forces transmitted from the steering box to the chassis, especially under low-speed cornering, such as when maneuvering around a shopping mall parking lot. Fat performance tires present a great deal of resistance at low speeds, which imparts considerable stress into the steering system, and ultimately attempts to rip the steering box from its mounting surface--especially during "full-lock" turns, where steering torque is greatest. Over time, these forces weaken the chassis surface around the steering box and can result in torn metal.

"Whether the chassis is weakened or torn at the steering box, the result is the same--steering actions are delayed while the chassis flexes, leading to unresponsive and erratic steering. Ironically, though the damage stems from low-speed steering, the resulting problem is far more serious at high speeds than low ones.

"It is possible to repair the damaged area, though the best solution is to avoid the problem in the first place by installing a brace [Wonderbar] that reinforces the steering box mounting area."

JamesC
Old 08-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

A "wonderbar" helps with this some, if you don't have one - its a well worth investment. New idler arm helps some too. But it's an inherant issue especially with 3rd gens.

You are supposed to park that baby at the end of the lot, sideways, taking up at least 2 spaces, so that no one can ding the doors, run shopping carts into the nose, etc.! The only time my girl gets parked "in a space" is when I'm at a car show, and then only if I'm surrounded by better paint jobs than mine!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:26 PM
J91
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28,64ImpalaSS4094spd,67 Galaxy
Engine: Dart 415Profiler hd,cmprlrs,Hlly750
Transmission: Built 700R4, 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:89 Moser 9"

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
A "wonderbar" helps with this some, if you don't have one - its a well worth investment. New idler arm helps some too. But it's an inherant issue especially with 3rd gens.

You are supposed to park that baby at the end of the lot, sideways, taking up at least 2 spaces, so that no one can ding the doors, run shopping carts into the nose, etc.! The only time my girl gets parked "in a space" is when I'm at a car show, and then only if I'm surrounded by better paint jobs than mine!
Amen brother!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:38 PM

Ok thanks! I'll have to check into the wonder bar. It hasn't been much of a problem, most of time I don't even notice it, but that post about the high speed thing is kind of scary.

Quote - "You are supposed to park that baby at the end of the lot, sideways, taking up at least 2 spaces"

Yeah! I always try to do that, its the wife that wants me to park closer. But I need a new paint job anyway so the day that I do get my door caved in by a shopping cart is the day I'll have my excuse to get a full paint job
Old 08-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah - why is it that they complain about their @ss looking big, yet they complain about walking from the far end of the parking lot?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Also the tires sometimes rub on the frame when initiating lock/lock turns.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1...not hardly stock
Transmission: 700r4....not stock either
Axle/Gears: 3.73

If the tires run the frame, you need some spacers or something.

What size wheels are you running? check out the sticky "ultimate 3rd gen suspension" somewhere in one of the two threads, it addresses this issue and explains the geometry issues that are encountered.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

No way in hell will i run spacers!.They dont rub that bad.Mostly when the ground is uneven or has a dip causing the suspension to move.

Wheels are stock GTA sizes, w/255-50-16
Old 10-22-2010, 04:10 PM

Car: 1987 BMW 325is
Engine: M20B25
Transmission: Getrag 260
Axle/Gears: 3.73 LSD

i have the same problem and it seems to be getting worse every time i drive my car. (the more i drive, the less sharp i have to turn for the tires to start skipping and jumping. and the sharper io turn, the more intense the problem ) this only happens at very low speeds ( when feathering the clutch to get into first gear, or when idling in first gear., any faster and this doesnt happen.)the steering box does not appear to be cracked or loose or anything.

i have the factory 8 inch wide wheels with 225/50/16 tires in the front. could this smaller than normal tire size have anthing to do with this? also i have very worn shocks/struts could this be a cause? my grandpa says the idler arm could have been replaced with one that is smaller/bigger than factory. is this likely? could the bushings in the steering be bad?

i do not completely understand the source of this problem and i do not want to seriously damage anything on my car.

also, i live in a suburban area that has semi narrow streets and close driveways, every time i get home i have to turn the wheel very sharp to get into the driveway.

also tthere is a large pothole type thing that is at the beginning of my driveway that i run over when i am turning in, coud this be contributing to a problem?

any help is appriciated, thanks.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

The only thing you can do is replace worn suspension parts, make sure you have the wonderbar, avoid as much sharp turning as possible, definitely avoid the pothole (or fill it), learn to make wider turns, etc.

If you've had the car more than 3 years, and have never replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends, it most likely needs it badly - most of these cars never get these parts replaced until an 'enthusiast' gets ahold of it. Replacing idler arm and centerlink won't hurt either. Bad shocks/struts don't help - means the car is sagging and thus the suspension is off kilter. Not sure a strut tower brace helps any with this particular issue, but they help otherwise with overall suspension.

Otherwise, it's an inherent problem with these cars. No performance car was ever built to drive to the grocery store - parking is the last thing considered in the design. Not that 3rd gens were ever designed as a 'real' performance car - but GM added performance mods to the platform (ie the 16" wheels and necessary wonderbar to accompany) and thus 'normal daily driving' issues do occur. It's like hp vs. cash, you just can't have a peformance platform that travels well to the grocery store and takes the kids to soccer practice.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:32 PM

Car: 1987 BMW 325is
Engine: M20B25
Transmission: Getrag 260
Axle/Gears: 3.73 LSD

i have only had the car for about 8 months. but, i just replaced the old junked ball joints with good new moog ones, and had it aligned about 2 months ago. i beleive the problem existed before this though. only now, it is much, much worse. i will try the tie rod ends, centerlink, & idler arm though, and the wonder bar plus shocks & struts when i get some cash saved up (i like to buy good, usually expensive parts vs not as good, usually cheap ones.). i also was planning to fab up a strut tower brace on my own, olny problem is the very very limited clearance between the tpi and hood when closed. (it makes an impression in the black insulation mat) but im sure theres a way! and ill get to filling the hole haha. thanks for the advice. hope it helps!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Consider after market strut mounts before the STB.

JamesC