Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Suspension Overhaul/OEM Slight Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula, 89 IROC
Engine: GMPP 350 HO, L98
Transmission: 4l60x2
Axle/Gears: not enough, good enough
Suspension Overhaul/OEM Slight Upgrade

So my car's springs and struts are shot from sitting for years before I bought, and 2 years once I had it and waiting forever to rebuild the engine. The Panhard bar clangs around as its bushing has to be shot. I haven't looked under there in a while, but I want to overhaul everything at once.

I want this car to adjust between daily driver pothole and speedbumps, highway comfort, and fun responsive driving. I will do mostly street driving, so I want the car near stock, no lowering, with a few upgrades.

I've had OEM springs for years sitting in boxes, and I've recently picked up KYB AGX all around.

I have been looking at a TDS Wonderbar (105021), BMR Chrome Moly Panhard Rod, Non-adjustable with Polyurethane Bushings (MPHR001), and Energy Suspension 3.18131G Master Set. I've read that the "master set" doesn't include rear control arm bushings. Anything else it doesn't contain that I should inspect? I'd like to replace everything in a weekend, so I want all the parts before I start disassembly.

I've seen people talk about strut tower braces and new strut towers, and don't think I need either of those for my basic purpose. I want to tighten it up, but I can't afford overkill... yet (years down the road.) What am I missing to replace my old worn out system and slightly upgrade it?

Thanks for the help in advance. Pretty much every post I've seen includes lowering the car and that throws of the rest of the suggestions. I think mine is low enough already, maybe too low. Let me know what you think I'm doing right/wrong and need to look up.

Thanks,
Cornwallis
Old 10-14-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird.
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.27:1 Diskbrakes
Re: Suspension Overhaul/OEM Slight Upgrade

One change I would make would be an adjustable panhard bar. Don't need a super fancy one. Just need it adjustable so you can recenter the rear axle in the body.

While its apart, Hows the rest of your steering components? Are all the tie-rods and centerlink good?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:28 PM

Why make it adjustable if it's not lowered? Will the bar be that far off that I should have an adjustable version?

This is the first time I'll be digging into the suspension. It is an untapped well of awesome I hope to abuse. I don't remember what the steering components looked like, but probably just as good as the rest. I'm going under it next weekend to see if any parts are bent or beyond repair and find what needs replacing versus what I want replaced.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always suggest customers by an adjsutable panhard bar because it leaves you with the option of lowering the car later down the road, and will also correct the rearend placement under the body that was never really right from the factory. Also, you are welcome to go with chromemoly, but I honestly talk customers out of it so they can put the money toward other parts because the weight difference is minimal on a part like that vs. DOM steel.

If there is anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask!
- Kevin
Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 AM

Alright already! So I'm looking at the BMR PHR002, thanks for the heads up. I also found a Energy Suspension 3.3159G Bushing kit I might need. Anyone used this kit or replaced all bushings at once?

I'll get the car up on jacks this weekend to get a look at everything. Anything to check specifically besides the tie rods and centerlinks?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird SE
Engine: C5 LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Poly bushings will make you happy.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:38 AM

So most of my bushings look good. The tie-rods are solid, but the bushings are filthy. The center-links look perfect too. I plan to remove the tie rods including the center-links to clean them and see if the bushings need replacing since they're covered in years of road grime.

I know my end-links are bent on all 4 corners, and any damage to the bushings on the panhard bar are hidden within the bushing housing. I'm still aiming for an adjustable panhard bar cause I like peer pressure.

I also found my rear passenger shock has blown a seal, which isn't helping anything. I plan to replace the rear shocks tomorrow, and if I have enough time and luck, the springs all around with the front struts.

The Wonder Bar will be ordered within a month as well as the panhard bar, now looking for new plans or things I may have overlooked...

-Cornwallis
Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 90 IROC 2-92 Zs blk vert & prpl
Engine: stealth ram brodix track 1 ful port
Transmission: 700r4 4l80e
Axle/Gears: iroc 375 lokr 92 Z 277 pos vert 327

I replaced all the sway bar bushings (red polyurethane), torque arm bushing (red polyurethane) and shocks (Bilstein) in my 92 Z vert and it made an amazing difference. I couldn't brag anymore on how much it improved the car. I also installed panhard bar, 9 bolt posi 327 PBR disc, control arms (full box red poly greasable). Handles like it is on rails. It cracked the windshield this summer going around corners and not from a rock but from flexing.

Last edited by abray1; 11-17-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by Cornholio7979
...and Energy Suspension 3.18131G Master Set. I've read that the "master set" doesn't include rear control arm bushings.
The rear control arm bushings are mentioned below:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...FQyDnQodc1gAdQ

Personally, I'd purchase what I needed individually.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 11-18-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Considering the age of thirdgens, and the fact that gm did a really good job of cheaping out on certain items (like control arms), it makes sense to change all the old and weak stuff for new - plus a set of good weld in subframes...

Panhard rod
Rear control arms
Sway bar bushings and endlinks - all poly
Struts and shocks
Subframe connectors

Additional items you may consider:
Wander bar
TQ Arm
Strut tower brace