Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Vogtland spring rates? Comfortable ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
Vogtland spring rates? Comfortable ride?

My car is fully aftermarket. 5.3LS supercharger TA GFX. I'm starting to drive the car a lot more on the road and having issues with the road noise. On a smooth road it's fine but any bumps or dips or uneven pavement it's not very quiet. So I have been replacing my racing stuff with more Street friendly stuff to make the car more enjoyable to ride. Here's what I got.

Wheels
18x9.5 c6 Z06 replicas with 275/40r18 sumitomo htrZs on all 4 corners

SFC
Through floor and perimeter

Front suspension
Racecraft moly kmemeber
UMI tubular front control arms poly bushings
Custom 3pt STB
Stock WS6 sway bar with poly bushings and end links
1" raised hot part CC plates with 3/4" spacers
KYB AGX struts on 2nd setting (soft/med)
800lb 9" springs with custom weight jacks

Rear suspension
Jegster shorty tq arm
UMI double rod end LCAs
Custom LCA relocation brackets
UMI double rod end PHB
PHB lowering bracket on rear end
Stock WS6 sway bar with poly
Viking double adjustable rear shocks (on soft setting)
150lb springs on circle track weight jacks

the car is lowered, weight jacks are as low as possible on the front. The rears I've raised but still lower than stock. The issue is all the rod end suspension components are transmitting all the road noise to the car which is stiff due to the SFC. I also fee like the most noise is from the rear end and the weight jacks.

So I picked up used vogtland springs and just ordered double poly ended LCAs and PHB to help with the rear noise. I'm hoping the poly will absorb most of the noise. The vogtland springs (rears are a bit stiffer than my 150lb) to replace my 150lb but mainly to get rid of the possibly noise product information Steel adjusters. I might swap the front springs out for a more comfortable ride but I want to verify the rates.

What is the true working spring rates. I've seen something like 450-550lb front and 140-220 rears. If that's the case then the fronts are softer than my stock WS6 springs. Anyone running the vogtland springs and can tell me how comfortable they are? Not too soft I hope but stockish would be nice.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

Re: Vogtland spring rates? Comfortable ride?

Hmm 74 views and no posts....
Old 09-17-2016, 01:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 92 Trans Am Conv
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

I'm a viewer and subscriber as I'm eyeing these for purchase myself.
If they're slightly softer I'm happy as eventually I'll go 17" wheels and want the same ride quality or better.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Firebird, 89 Trans Am
Engine: 406, LB9
Transmission: T56, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen, 2.73 Posi

I cannot give any scientific "This is what the rates are." info but I can tell you my impression of them.

It seems to me, that, if anything, the Vogtlands may be a little softer in the front than Moog 5660s while being stiffer than the 5665s in the rear. I've listed the specs of the two cars I'm comparing below. I consider both cars comfortable to drive and regularly drive them both 80 miles roundtrip to work.

As you can see, there are other differences between my cars that could also explain what I feel. I also listed what my current tire/ride heights are. I know everybody wants to know how much the Vogtlands drop you.

Name:  third_gen_suspension.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  306.7 KB
Old 09-17-2016, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for your response.

I just installed the used vogtlands today. What a PITA. I didn't use a spring compressor either.

I'm not sure what happened but the rear spring I had to compress by doing a bench press with it in the pocket (I'm very strong lol) and I was able to get it in. But I'm not sure if it's due to my Viking double adjustable rear shocks not having as much travel as an OEM type shock? By my rear was at full drop with the shocks holding it up. This was without the OEM rear spring isolator. No way I would be able to get it in with that on. So I just used some heater hose.

Fronts were even worse to get in but eventually figured it out without a compressor as the one I had wouldn't fit. Sitting pretty low now esp in the rear. It dropped 1.5-1.75" over what I had and it hasn't even been driven yet.

I'm more interested in the driving habits. This is a huge drop in spring rate for me in the front. I was running 800lb front springs on weight jacks and 150lb rears on jacks. I wanted a more comfortable ride than what I had as I only drive the car on the street now.

I want to get it out for a drive to see what it settles height wise and get a feel for the new springs. I hope it's better!
Old 09-17-2016, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by customblackbird
I'm more interested in the driving habits. This is a huge drop in spring rate for me in the front. I was running 800lb front springs on weight jacks and 150lb rears on jacks. I wanted a more comfortable ride than what I had as I only drive the car on the street now.

I want to get it out for a drive to see what it settles height wise and get a feel for the new springs. I hope it's better!
We've got duplicate threads going haha. I'll post here as well since you never know what someone might find in a search.

Comparing my two cars, the 87 (Vogtlands) definitely handles better and handles better than before it was lowered. I think the biggest factor in the handling is the much taller sidewalls on the 89 (Moog). I do think body roll in the front may have increased on the 87 when I went to the Vogtlands. I have a set of WS6 sway bars I intend to install to see how they affect things. Bumps (especially train tracks) are more jarring in the 87 but I expect that since everything in its suspension has less give. I hesitate to attribute the ride harshness solely to the springs.

I do expect your ride to be better considering the other changes you've made as well.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Ok interesting. I have 275/40/18s and WS6 sway bars already. I know that BMWs are designed with soft springs and stiff sway bars... That's how they get a comfortable ride but secure ride.

I would love to do the same.

Also when I installed the front springs (UMI front control arms) I had indexed the spring on the bottom so it faced outward centered. I've read that this will lower the car slightly more but it also makes getting the spring in alittle easier. If I hacked 1/2 a coil off the top it prob would of went in much easier.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member

Just took mine for a 15min drive and tried to get the suspension to settle.

Loving the springs thus far. Handling is def softer than the 800lb fronts and doesn't feel sloppy although u can feel they are softer I think for a DD car they are very nice. The rear of these cars needs more than stock spring rate and thus very happy with ride equality and response. I have my front AGX struts on the 2nd setting (1-4) so soft/med and the rear Vikings are on a soft street setting. Since I run 18" rims and a 275/40/18 tire I'm taller than stock which prob attributes to my 27.5" front fender height and 27 5/8" rear fender height. The rear springs dropped it 1.5" over what I had in it. Front is slightly lower if not the same as the 800lbwhich is fine as I wasn't scrapping on anything.

Don't have any pics yet as it started to drizzle and I wasn't going to pull over. Will have to get some after some more driving and snap one at work or something.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:47 AM

Glad to know the differences weren't all in my head haha
Old 09-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Supreme Member

Yea it was a noticable difference but at the same time I had 800lb front springs... which is 100lbs stiffer than any OEM spring. I think the Vogtlands are about even with the softest OEM spring 5660 which is about 500lb. The Vogtlands would feel like a stock spring on cars originally with 5660s, but WS6 cars with 5662 or 5664 will be swapping out a stiffer spring for a softer one with the Vogtlands. Not a crazy about difference but 100-150lb less. This can easily be compensated with larger sway bars.

I'm going to have get some more street time on them and snap some pics prob towards the middle of the week.