Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Smith grabs another SCCA Majors victory in American Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 Formula
Engine: LS2
Transmission: 4L65E
Axle/Gears: MW 3.42 12 Bolt

This is a copy from Pro Touring post:

SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA (May 5, 2017) – Phillip Smith continues to be one of the most successful drivers in the SCCA American Sedan division, sweeping the majors tour weekend at Circuit of St. Louis in the infield of Gateway International Raceway. His blue third gen 1991 Chevrolet Camaro has accumulated nearly ten victories across the country since partnering with Ron Sutton Race Technology in 2015.

Smith won the Sunday feature in last May's event at the infield road course facility as well. Smith has won at Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, and Road America as well at some of the most high profile race tracks in the United States.

The weekend started out wet with rainy conditions throughout Friday practice. Smith tested his rain setup extensively experimenting with different camber settings for the oval portion of the 1.650 mile roval.

On Saturday morning, wet weather was a still factor. After a short stoppage of qualifying due to another competitor crashing on the course, Smith clicked off a 1:18.536 that was initially disallowed for being quicker than the scoring computers were programmed to allow.

During his Saturday win, Smith lowered the track record with a 1:08.123 second lap. His class winning margin was 36 seconds in the 23 lap event. Smith took the lead entering turn one of the oval after the green flag and never looked back in the dominating performance.

Sunday he ran with half of a second of his track record times. He held the lead in the American Sedan class throughout the race before a late full course caution bunched the field up. Smith still put together a 14 second victory regardless to cap a highly successful weekend.

"The car comes off the corner so hard now, that we were gaining three-to-four car lengths in the oval turns three and four," Smith said. "The only maintenance we had to do was a rear brake light. Rules changes allowed us a long ball joint in the rear. We are still not fully there on our swaybar and spring races to compensate for that change."

Smith has consistently lowered his performance in the SCCA Runoffs since partnering with Ron Sutton Race Technology. Smith's long straight, high speed corner acumen came into focus when he finished third in the 2015 Runoffs at Daytona. The runoffs returned to a tighter course in 2016 when he finished second at Mid-Ohio.

In 2017, the Runoffs will take place at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Although the course uses the IMS front stretch, almost none of the speedway's iconic turns are utilized as drivers meander through the infield of the sprawling facility. Smith believes he has the best chance yet to grab a Runoffs victory.

"The car is fully developed and now it is just a matter of tuning," Smith said. "You think you know your setup but this has taught me so much. Its fun! We've got a good basic setup so now we're almost able to be creative. We have the confidence to try different things. We are willing to experiment more because we can always go back to the baseline!"

Smith will compete in a pair of SCCA Majors Super Tour races in June. He will compete at Mid Ohio on June 2-4 and at Watkins Glen on June 23-25.

Philip Smith would like to thank Ron Sutton Race Technology, Hoosier Tire, and Phil Harper at Ilmor Engineering for their support in 2017.

For more information on Ron Sutton Race Technology, visit them online at http://www.ronsuttonracetechnology.com/

ABOUT RON SUTTON RACE TECHNOLOGY

Ron Sutton Race Technology is a one-stop resource for winning car building or improving performance for Autocross, Road Course Track Days & Pro Touring Cars. Ron offers suspension, brake & aerodynamic optimization services, complete chassis/suspension designs, cutting edge suspension packages, consulting services, books, workshops & an online store with 600 brands & over 90,000 parts.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

Re: Smith grabs another SCCA Majors victory in American Sedan

Maybe, we can coax Phil in here and tells us about his not-so-secret suspension mods and philosophy/approach that has worked so well.
Congrats!
Old 05-06-2017, 02:55 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Not sure how many people know this but SpeedTech has partnered with Ron Sutton to make a custom front clip for our cars. I have no idea how they are going to attach it to the car, and I don't think they know yet either. But it will be an honest pro-touring tubular front end for our cars and eliminate the Mcpherson strut.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah, but I'm not sure if the $$ will be worth it, but it will be an improvement for sure. For those of us who already have invested, no. If someone comes in from scratch, yeah.
Phil is doing pretty well with Jri's and Ron's secret sauce. And BDNBLK is out at LS Fest with all DSE and representing them. I'm waiting for RideTech struts to come out. Vendors are working on the platform!
Ron replied that Phil is using: "our standard 3-piece front sway bar kit. On lower speed road courses, he's running our 1300-1500# bar. But on the tracks with high speed corners (120+) Philip is running our step up bars (1800-2000 #)." Phil already admitted he switched to Ron's modern high travel-low roll and the bar #'s show it. I bet his front springs are lighter than we are used to around here. I wish I were closer to Mid-Ohio as he will be there June 2-4.

Success can be had with McStrut! Now, I've never heard anyone list #'s with stock mm bars. All the aftermarket uses #'s. Plus, folks are using different linkage points, brackets, etc. Interesting times for the platform!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2S3...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by TEDSgrad; 05-06-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Add U Tube Link
Old 05-06-2017, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

And Ron's Ad (list 3rd Gen in "Available as bolt in clips for:"

New Speedtech eXtreme Front Subframe & Suspension Package
New Cutting Edge Design Includes:
  • Ron Sutton Race Technology geometry built-in.
  • Strong Box type laser cut and jig welded construction - reduced weight over factory subframe.
  • Special subframe width & shape allowing 315 front tires.
  • Next-Gen ATS 7075 Forged Aluminum Spindles.
  • High-Ackerman steering arms for ATS spindles.
  • C7 heavy duty bearings & hubs.
  • Speedtech high clearance upper & lower tubular control arms
  • Upper control arms feature additional caster adjustability.
  • Control arms powder coated gloss black and fully assembled with Delrin bushings.
  • 3-piece Speedway Engineering sway bar – Choice of rates from 400# to 1300#
  • Sweet racing DUAL POWER rack & pinion steering.
  • Accepts LSX engines with Speedtech fabricated oil pan and motor mounts.
  • Adjustable engine frame stands allows 3/4" fore & aft range.
  • Fully adjustable rear cross member fits all GM transmissions as well as T-56 and TKO.
  • Factory alignment holes offer ease of aligning frame to body and bumpers.
  • Mounting hardware, instructions, and custom alignment specs.
  • Comes bare. Powder coat options available.
  • Built-in tow/tie down hooks eliminate strapping around painted frames.
  • Ridetech single adjustable coil-over shocks, including delrin thrust washers & adjusting wrench.
  • Hypercoil coil-over springs – Wide choice of rates.

Available as Bolt-In Clips for:
67-69 GM F-Bodies Camaros & Firebirds
70-81 GM F-Bodies Camaros & Firebirds/Trans Ams
68-74 GM X-Bodies Novas, Venturas, Skylark & other GM X-Body Cars
and now ... 82-92 3rd gen F-Bodies: Camaros & Firebirds

OPTIONS:
• Powder Coat Subframe – Flat Black
• Powder Coat Subframe – Semi-Gloss Black
• Powder Coat Subframe – Gloss Black
• Powder Coat Subframe – Gun Metal Grey
• Powder Coat Subframe – Silver
• Billet Aluminum Body Mount Set
• Engine Bay Round Tube Chassis Down Bar Supports
• Double Joint Steering Shaft Kit
• LSx Engine Adapter Plates
• Speedtech 1 7/8" LSx Headers, Mill Finish
• Speedtech LSx 1 7/8" Headers, Show Polished Finish
• Ron Sutton Tailored Suspension Tech Service #40STP
• Ron Sutton Tailored Brake Tech Service #29
• Ron Sutton Secret Sauce Digressive Track-Star Valving added to Ridetech Single Adj Shocks
• Ridetech Triple Adj Shocks w/Digressive Track-Star Valving
• JRI Shocks w/Digressive Track-Star Valving in Single, double or triple adjustable
Old 04-20-2018, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

Originally Posted by TEDSgrad
Yeah, but I'm not sure if the $$ will be worth it, but it will be an improvement for sure. For those of us who already have invested, no. If someone comes in from scratch, yeah.
Phil is doing pretty well with Jri's and Ron's secret sauce. And BDNBLK is out at LS Fest with all DSE and representing them. I'm waiting for RideTech struts to come out. Vendors are working on the platform!
Ron replied that Phil is using: "our standard 3-piece front sway bar kit. On lower speed road courses, he's running our 1300-1500# bar. But on the tracks with high speed corners (120+) Philip is running our step up bars (1800-2000 #)." Phil already admitted he switched to Ron's modern high travel-low roll and the bar #'s show it. I bet his front springs are lighter than we are used to around here. I wish I were closer to Mid-Ohio as he will be there June 2-4.

Success can be had with McStrut! Now, I've never heard anyone list #'s with stock mm bars. All the aftermarket uses #'s. Plus, folks are using different linkage points, brackets, etc. Interesting times for the platform!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2S3...ature=youtu.be
Without some numbers for the stock sway bars it's hard to tell what those numbers mean. Alternatively if we knew the diameter of that bar we could make a guess.

I've wondered if you could make a 3 piece sway bar (straight center section, bolt on/splined arms) work in a 3rd gen in the stock/stockish location.

None of this gets into the high rate rear springs you mention in the other thread.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

I've done some searching about him/the car and I can find nothing online besides a few pics

Old 04-20-2018, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

This is Phil:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenA/SRacer
Thanks. I made a huge number of changes based on working with Ron Sutton this winter. Fixed some horrible factory geometry issues. Way bigger front bar. Lots more rear spring. FYI I went from 175 rear springs to 500. No change in front springs. Car is so much more fun to drive and tires last so much longer. I am very excited about the Runoffs in Daytona this year. Looking for at least a podium. I basically picked up 1.5 seconds everywhere I went. Doesn't sound like much but that is a huge amount. We are now in the mix at every race. SO SO Happy with everything. Remember it is not about the parts that you bolt on the car it is about how the suspension works. Unless you really know what you are doing be very careful changing what the factory did.
That's from - https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...iii-shock.html
Post #26

For those who don't know, in that post #26, left click on his user name (far left), a drop down occurs, select "find more posts by", and you can look at other posts he has made here on TGO. Or, copy his user and put in the search feature.