Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

another front suspension parts review

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: RPO/GU6: 3.42
another front suspension parts review

I'm rehabbing my front suspension.

Not putting fancy parts in there. Just replacing the worn out parts.

Already has a replacement idler arm and center-link from a prior service - so not replacing those again at this point.

Otherwise, the list below is what I ordered.

What did I forget?

Old 09-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

Re: another front suspension parts review

Anticipating that somebody will mention the sizing issues on the Moog control arm bushings, I have read the thread at https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/susp...t-control.html

FWIW, the contol arms I'm planning on using came off a 1982 car.
If that has any bearing on people's opinions about sizing of control arm bushings.

Figured I'd get the extra 1982 control arms ready, so I don't have to deal with all that bushings-and-ball-joints drama at the same time I'm dealing with struts. Plan is to yank the 1988 control arms out of there altogether, and install the refurb'd 1982 arms.

What could possibly go wrong?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

C'mon now y'all.

Why didn't nobody catch me on the goof where I ordered TWO left side mounts?

And guess who got started working on the RIGHT side and discovered the goof when he was about to try to tie the right side back together?

FYI... the strut mounts are SIDE-SPECIFIC.

Oh well, at least I aint dropped the car on me yet, or broke anything (except my tool budget) beyond redemption.

Right side strut mount arrives TOMORROW.
I'm sure the UPS guy will deliver it after dark, but oh well...

Revised list.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at those prices, I’d advise you to shop around next time. Rock auto carries most. (Maybe all I never checked) and is significantly cheaper. Just for next time
https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=K6253
Old 10-24-2017, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Rock Auto link not working on my end here.

FWIW, the prices I posted above are before-discount. Advance gave me something like 15% or 20% off for the web order.

The Spohn prices are what they are. But great product and great customer service. I goofed that order (apparently so-obviously) that Mr. Spohn called me and asked me if I really meant to order what I ordered. I was just thinking about it when he called! Anyhow, I thought that was pretty cool. I ended up with the right stuff from Spohn.

Not as happy with the product from Advance, but got good customer service from them too. No hassles returning parts even though I was a day or two outside the 30-day return period. And I REALLY like the fact that I can order off the website, and drive just a few blocks to do returns or anything that has to do with customer service. I've heard good things about Rock Auto. No brick-and-mortar around me for Rock Auto though. Prefer not to do mail-order returns/exchanges when I goof my order or if something arrives not-right.

In my area, almost none of the shops will even work on a third-gen. The ones that will take the job, you wouldn't want even touching your car. Labor is running in the $100/hr. ballpark. So, this job is mostly about the DIY labor/experience of it. $700 doesn't buy nearly what it used to. All this stuff seems like quite a lot - as in a lot for what seems like relatively little spent. Mainly, I'm hoping I didn't spend too LITTLE. We shall see.

Last edited by W.E.G.; 10-24-2017 at 08:48 PM.