Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

First time budget suspension rebuild - front end

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: 700R4 Automagic
Axle/Gears: No clue
First time budget suspension rebuild - front end

After getting quite fed up with my car sagging to one side and taking bumps like a bouncy castle, I've decided the first big project I want to do is replace my springs, shocks, struts, and rebuild my front end suspension for as cheap as reasonably possible.

I've done some research and came up with some parts:

From Summit I have:

KYB Shocks & Struts 236001 - KYB Excel-G Gas Shocks and Struts x2
KYB Shocks & Struts KG5562 - KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks and Struts x2
Moog Chassis Parts 5662 - Moog Replacement Coil Springs
Moog Chassis Parts CC635 - Moog Cargo Control Coil Springs
Moog Chassis Parts K160044 - Moog Coil Spring Insulators x2
Energy Suspension 3.3157G - Energy Suspension Control Arm Bushing Sets
Moog Chassis Parts K6606 - Moog Bump Stops

From 1AAuto:

1985 Pontiac Firebird 12 Piece Set Steering & Suspension Kit
1985 Pontiac Firebird Front Upper Strut Mount Pair

and from Spohn:

Strut Mount Retainers (87-92 Style) - 1982-1992 GM F-Body: Camaro & Firebird

I'll probably add some ES sway bar bushings once I measure my front sway bar. Anything thing else I might need before I try to tackle this over the weekend? Any suggestions/additions for the parts I have listed? This is just a budget daily driver I'll be upgrading for the rest of my life so I don't need anything fancy right now, just stock is fine. Subframe connectors will be next on the list after I get the suspension under control.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:48 PM
KCG

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Re: First time budget suspension rebuild - front end

The KYB you have listed from Summit are not matched. The struts are twin tube, the rears are monotube. The matching twin tube is 343211, and they're a few bucks cheaper on Rock Auto, and with the 5% discount it may take care of the shipping.
What are you planning with the car? If street car, I would go with rubber control arm bushings instead of the Energy Susp urethane. You'll get Noise-Vibration-Harshness from them. If its a AX car, then different story.
I haven't looked into steering components yet, but would suggest Moog parts. I don't know what 1A sells.

Last edited by KCG; 11-26-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by KCG
The KYB you have listed from Summit are not matched. The struts are twin tube, the rears are monotube. The matching twin tube is 343211, and they're a few bucks cheaper on Rock Auto, and with the 5% discount it may take care of the shipping.
What are you planning with the car? If street car, I would go with rubber control arm bushings instead of the Energy Susp urethane. You'll get Noise-Vibration-Harshness from them. If its a AX car, then different story.
I haven't looked into steering components yet, but would suggest Moog parts. I don't know what 1A sells.
I've heard the monotube gas-a-justs are the better of the two...they just don't offer a monotube strut unfortunately. Would it be better to get the twin tube on the rear to match the struts, or does it matter that much?

My plan is for it to be my daily driver street car until I'm buried with her
Old 11-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Probably want new strut upper mounts too and make sure your control arm bushings are good.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:47 PM
KCG

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC

Originally Posted by turboguard
Would it be better to get the twin tube on the rear to match the struts, or does it matter that much?
KYB says their ExcelG are factory replacement twin tube. If you have heavier factory suspension, then the rear mono-tube gas-a-just is supposed to replace that.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:46 PM

Car: 1988 gta-
Engine: 383 tpi
Transmission: 700 r-4

After getting quite fed up with my car sagging to one side and taking bumps like a bouncy castle, I've decided the first big project I want to do is replace my springs, shocks, struts, and rebuild my front end suspension for as cheap as reasonably possible.

I've done some research and came up with some parts:

From Summit I have:

KYB Shocks & Struts 236001 - KYB Excel-G Gas Shocks and Struts x2
KYB Shocks & Struts KG5562 - KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks and Struts x2
Moog Chassis Parts 5662 - Moog Replacement Coil Springs
Moog Chassis Parts CC635 - Moog Cargo Control Coil Springs
Moog Chassis Parts K160044 - Moog Coil Spring Insulators x2
Energy Suspension 3.3157G - Energy Suspension Control Arm Bushing Sets
Moog Chassis Parts K6606 - Moog Bump Stops

From 1AAuto:

1985 Pontiac Firebird 12 Piece Set Steering & Suspension Kit
1985 Pontiac Firebird Front Upper Strut Mount Pair

and from Spohn:

Strut Mount Retainers (87-92 Style) - 1982-1992 GM F-Body: Camaro & Firebird

I'll probably add some ES sway bar bushings once I measure my front sway bar. Anything thing else I might need before I try to tackle this over the weekend? Any suggestions/additions for the parts I have listed? This is just a budget daily driver I'll be upgrading for the rest of my life so I don't need anything fancy right now, just stock is fine. Subframe connectors will be next on the list after I get the suspension under control.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

how did this go? how does it ride? did the car settle and go down a bit?

i am looking to do an upgrade. i abandoned my GTA for about 18 years and well, i am trying to bring it back. I want the car to ride good and dont really want to lower it because i did have a hard top that got ripped up here in NYC, we dont have good roads. i am looking to match or better the WS6 factory suspension. what do you guys recommend? i read the Moog parts you listed are a very close match if not the same?. i have Tokico adjustable on my dads 71 monte carlo and they are amazing. do they offer them for 3rd gen as struts and shocks? i am not trying to break the bank either. thanks.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:56 AM

Feels like a new car. I also got a solid steering shaft from the guy on these forums and that made a HUUUUGE difference. The steering wheel now feels completely connected to the road! I also upgraded to 16" wheels with 245 tires. The springs did settle a little, but nothing dramatic. Sits like it should, with the tires "fitting" into the wheel wells properly (I hate lowered cars, I don't like scraping on twigs).
Old 01-25-2018, 10:51 AM

Car: 1988 gta-
Engine: 383 tpi
Transmission: 700 r-4

Feels like a new car. I also got a solid steering shaft from the guy on these forums and that made a HUUUUGE difference. The steering wheel now feels completely connected to the road! I also upgraded to 16" wheels with 245 tires. The springs did settle a little, but nothing dramatic. Sits like it should, with the tires "fitting" into the wheel wells properly (I hate lowered cars, I don't like scraping on twigs).
Very interesting. I did have a lowered GTA with bmr springs and i bottomed out on a "puddle" and turns out under that puddle was an exposed manhole cover and the lip of the K frame caught the edge of the manhole cover and it bent the whole frame and car was deemed a total loss by the insurance company. i still have my other GTA though, so i want to bring it back. So you did Moog and KYB? i wanted to go with the Konis but boy are they pricey. did you change the strut tower bearings? how is the ride? Do you have a side profile picture of the car to see how it looks. i want to see the fender gap. thanks
Old 01-25-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ikeepitreelz
Very interesting. I did have a lowered GTA with bmr springs and i bottomed out on a "puddle" and turns out under that puddle was an exposed manhole cover and the lip of the K frame caught the edge of the manhole cover and it bent the whole frame and car was deemed a total loss by the insurance company. i still have my other GTA though, so i want to bring it back. So you did Moog and KYB? i wanted to go with the Konis but boy are they pricey. did you change the strut tower bearings? how is the ride? Do you have a side profile picture of the car to see how it looks. i want to see the fender gap. thanks
Yep, moog and the cheapo KYB's. Not performance by any means, but gets the job done for a daily driver. I put in all new strut towers. I'll snap some pics once I get my T-top project done.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto

Yep, moog and the cheapo KYB's. Not performance by any means, but gets the job done for a daily driver. I put in all new strut towers. I'll snap some pics once I get my T-top project done.
Hey Turbo, did you get the parts from 1A or Summit?
Old 05-01-2018, 02:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 California Iroc
Engine: HSR ZZ4 0411 swapped
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

How is the ride now? I’m thinking of going the exact route as you. I’m not a racer, just want to bring the iroc back into the current century.