Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Helper springs, air shocks or OE springs for low bird that also pulls a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Helper springs, air shocks or OE springs for low bird that also pulls a trailer

I put in lowering springs on my firebird, so I still have the old springs (this was only incase I needed to put themback on for some reason).
Problem is 2 or 3 years later I think the lowering springs have finally settled in and it's a little too low for the rough streets and speed bumps around town.
I have no problem plumbing in a compressor. I have a spare ARB compressor left over from putting the air locker on my suburban, I already had a big Gast air compressor on it. So not worried about getting, installing, wiring or plumbing in a little conpressor.
Right now I am only worried about lifting the back a little.
Plus for the front the only option I see available, affordable and practical are air helper springs.

For the rear I see I can get helper springs and air shocks for about the same price.

But which one to get?
I hear the helper springs don't have a real long life expectancy are air shocks any better?
Which one do you think would "pump up" faster between air bags vs air shocks?

There is one big speed bump that I particularly hate, I don't want to sit there for 5 minutes while the suspension pumps up so if one is faster than the other that would be good to know.

I would like to be able to pump up the air suspension as I go into town to avoid scraping and not feel like I am driving a forklift as much.

I'm assuming air shocks take less air volume at higher pressure and helper air bags take lower pressure but at a much greater volume, would this assumption be correct?
Or do both systems run around the same pressure?

I also pull my 4x8 utility trailer so adjustable rear hight would be ideal.