Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

PANHARD BARS QUESTION..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2Trans Am convertibles91/92
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto's
Axle/Gears: Who knows
PANHARD BARS QUESTION..?

IM SCRATCHING MY HEAD I want to replace the rear Panhard bars on my 1991 Trans Am convertible, I removed 2 but every place I check only has one available? um I fell stupid cause I know I removed 2 one on suspension and one that connects to the body , I gather I only replace one?

Never mind I figured it out derp!! lol

Last edited by BadBilly442; 03-30-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:41 AM

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
Car: 85-6 TA 85IROC 82-6 MSE 15th/83pace
Engine: Slow ones
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: Weak ones
Re: PANHARD BARS QUESTION..?

So. There is an upper and lower Panhard bar. I recommend using founders as they are great quality parts for a great price. Only buy adjustable parts as you don't know where you will be in the future as in the direction of your build. UMI makes a really cool package that lets you adjust the Panhard bar on both sides to fine-tune your suspension or make room for exhaust systems. Take note that if you lower your car without the package they make the upper and lower Panhard bars will bottom out on each other.
UMI COMP Package
http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...oducts_id=1049
Founders adjustable Panhard bar
https://www.foundersperformance.com/...v=24d22e03afb2
Founders upper Panhard bar

I recommended using the founders Panhard bar, with UMI's Comp kit for the best combo possible. Founders also makes a copy of UMI's Comp package but it doesn't come with all the extra reinforcement goodies that UMI offers. This is the combo I run along with my ground control weight jacks.

While you are at it get adjustable lower control arms. The stamped steel OEM ones are trash.

They have package deals available for better prices. I would wait though as aftermarket tubular parts come on the market used with low miles on them quite often.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

There is only one Panhard bar. It is a suspension link, and goes from one side of the chassis to the other side of the rear axle, to hold the rear centered.

The other bar is not a suspension link. It is a chassis brace. Keep in mind, the whole rear of the car is nothing but a piece of stamped sheet metal; but with the tunnel in there, there's almost no strength at all in it, tending to keep the 2 sides of the body the same distance apart. Which obviously is pretty critical to the function of a Panhard bar... if the side of the chassis that it's attached to can just flop around in space, it won't hold the axle in place very firmly either. That's what that upper brace thing is for, is to maintain the rigidity of the unibody.

That said, the stock brace piece is a big wide piece of sheet metal itself (although oriented in a direction where it has at least a little bit of strength), and offers plenty of room for improvement. More importantly, it's YUUUUUUJJJJJJE, and its biggest part is right exactly where the exhaust needs to go. It's quite difficult to route a large exhaust, or duals, through the spot that it leaves. The replacement part is stiffer but MUCH smaller, allowing more room for exhaust.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Altering anything on the rear end's suspension is a give and take. If you use an aftermarket chassis brace it will probably lower the mount point along with lowering the mount point for the panhard bar. This will change the angle of the Panhard bar and will change your roll axis. If you want a larger opening for the rear exhaust you would be best off purchasing the UMI kit ($$) and reading about roll axis and panhard bar angles. Fitting a single 3" exhaust pipe over the stock brace isn't a big issue. You can buy off the shelf exhaust in 3" and it should support 350-400 wheel horsepower depending on the muffler design. If you really want a nice looking brace in place of your rusty piece the chassis brace can be made from a readily available piece of 1" OD 1/8" wall steel tube with two smaller tubes welded perpendicularly onto the ends for the mounting bolts. Voila!