Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

You Have a pinto rack? Tell me about it please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1984 z28
Transmission: Viper prepped LT1 T56
Axle/Gears: strange s60 4:10 locker
You Have a pinto rack? Tell me about it please.

I'm getting ready to order a front tube kit for my 87 and trying to decide between long and short. going with the long kit, I will need to add a rack to the car and seeing as I already have spohn everything on the car I was going to order a pinto rack kit from them.

So, if you have the pinto rack in your car. How does it turn compared to the stock quick ration z28 box? how is your turning radius? I'm concerned about the car not turning tight and it taking more turns of the wheel to get the tire turned as far. I'd hate for it to get lose during a race and have a hard time gathering it up due to cranking on the wheel so much. my z28 box is about 1.25 turns from center to lock if I recall, doesn't take much to get the tire going one way or the other. tell me you experience and opinions thanks.

I did search for a couple hours today and its hard to take anything away from all the pissing matches I took my time to read. thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
Tidan (03-07-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Car: '91 GTA
Engine: 421sbc
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" with 3.89
Re: You Have a pinto rack? Tell me about it please.

I can't help you,..... yet, but I am in the process of installing my Racecraft front end with a pinto rack.

So if you go with the long tube front end kit, are you going to cut the frame right in front of the strut tower?

Who's kit are you looking at?
Old 01-19-2021, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1984 z28
Transmission: Viper prepped LT1 T56
Axle/Gears: strange s60 4:10 locker

Originally Posted by LB9GTA
I can't help you,..... yet, but I am in the process of installing my Racecraft front end with a pinto rack.

So if you go with the long tube front end kit, are you going to cut the frame right in front of the strut tower?

Who's kit are you looking at?
Yes it will be right infront of the strut tower. Rock Solid Fab sells the kit that I want. The long kit is $445ish. Wish I would have known a long time ago it would already be done. Plus I would have ordered my moly k frame with the rack kit. Now I'll have to weld the brackets onto my nice red powder coated k frame ugh. Plus sell my front moly sway bar and moly wonder bar.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Z28 Camaro

I just bought a Rock Solid kit, I went with the long kit because the stock steering frame rails are weak and tend to fail at the connection point where the steering box lives. Using the pinto rack fixes that issue. The only downside is having to buy and install a whole new K member. I can NOT comment on the steering radius but I dont think thats an issue with the rack, think as if you wanted to go drifting, you would use a rack steering and just extend the steering travel with appropriate suspension components. If that makes any sense. Ill post pics once I get a chance.