TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

New to TBI and stuff........

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to TBI and stuff........

Hi folks, I am new to the TBI game, having only owned one other vehicle, a 1990 Chevy Silverado SWB, that had TBI.
This weekend, I am picking up another truck, a 1988 1/2 ton Silverado 4x4 with a dead 350 in it.
I am wanting to use as many on-hand parts as I can, as I have been hoarding parts for years.
Here is my plan:
1996 Vortec 350 shortblock (already have it)
1996 Vortec 350 heads (already reworked and modded for more lift)
Edelbrock Performer intake for Vortec heads (already have one in use)
LT1 camshaft
GM TBI-to-spreadbore adapter, used on earlier 454's with TBI
Holley TBI (not sure if I wanna use it just yet)

I am not sure how the computer will respond to the lack of an EGR setup, at least until I get it figured out how to run one.
Also, these heads should flow a lot better than the stock 350 TBI heads, so I am not sure if the injectors and computer can handle them. So, a chip might be in the works, if I can find someone knowledgeable enough and close enough.
Farther down the road, I plan to add the Edelbrock MPFI kit for Vortec heads.

Feedback and tips on this setup are welcome, please.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Bee-Bowdy
Engine: blowd tree-fity
Transmission: sebin hunnerd
Axle/Gears: fo-tins
Better learn how to program PROMs. That engine will never see it's full potential without some PROM tuning.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:47 AM

I hear that the LT1 cam is pretty cpu friendly. You should probably get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator till you can burn your own chips.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:23 AM

So what can I expect to happen....

If I just go ahead and swap in this Vortec longblock with LT1 cam and carbed intake with the GM adapter for the TBI?
I mean, I suspect the ECM is gonna throw out a code for the missing EGR, but how will it affect the way the truck runs? Will it mess up the fuel delivery somehow, cause the timing to retard a lot, etc?
I fully intend to get the EGR functional at some point, but I am wanting to get this thing up and running ASAP. I looked at the SDPP Vortec TBI intake, and am appalled at the price. Sheesh. Plus, I think the Edelbrock intake will flow better for when I get into the hardcore tuning processes.
I am not expecting anything to take to the dragstrip, obviously. But I do want something with good power and response, hence the EFI, and mileage (within reason).
My friends have said "screw the TBI, just put the engine in with a carb and go on" which totally negates the whole idea of what I want to do.
Will the truck be driveable without the EGR, at least til I get all the parts to put it on?