TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

TBI Sucking back the fuel !

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBI Sucking back the fuel !

Ok, first off let me say that my TBI is in a 91 Buick Roadmaster Wagon.

I bought the car about 10 months ago.

I had some idle issues etc so I replaced the following.

IAC
ESC
TPS (it's a non adjustable)
O2
MAP
EGR
Plugs
Plug Wires
Fuel Filter
Oil Pressure Sender

I tried to get it to pass emissions a few months ago and it failed because of crazy high hydrocarbons but it ran fine.

Fast forward to last week, all of a sudden I have no power, it fludders all the time and it is sucking back the gas HUGE, about 1/4 tank for 20km. When I put my foot into the throttle a bit the fuel gauge starts jumping around which it has never done before. The fuel seems to be spraying quite a bit, plus it's dribbling quite heavy out of the injectors while it's spraying....

Just before this happened, I put a fuel and oil treatment in the car (was told the emissions thing could have been a stuck lifter) and I have run the car down near the empty point a few times over the last month.

On friday I rebuilt the fuel pressure regulator and it ran a LITTLE better, not much. Saturday I replaced the Engine Cooland Sensor (nothing) Today I yanked the TBI off and rebuilt it with a kit and went thru and cleaned the whole thing out. When I fired the car up, it ran pretty good....I took it for a test drive around the block and it ran real good..............tonight when I left the shop about 5 minutes into the drive home, it started running like total crap again.

Thoughts ?

Help

Thanks............

Oh, and I plugged my little idiot light scan tool in and it shows no codes...........

Another thing.........when I pulled the TBI apart on the car (injector top plate etc) fuel started spilling out........

Last edited by hzemall; 05-26-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:39 PM

Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 TPI, Comp 268xfi, bowtie heads
Transmission: 700r4
Re: TBI Sucking back the fuel !

check your fuel pressure

I had the return line clog up on my 91 RS and it did the same thing, ran super rich, cuz the FP was 2x what it was supposed to be
Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ruiner
check your fuel pressure

I had the return line clog up on my 91 RS and it did the same thing, ran super rich, cuz the FP was 2x what it was supposed to be
How do I check the fuel pressure ? Is there a T fitting or anything ?

How did you unclog your return line ?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:50 PM

Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 TPI, Comp 268xfi, bowtie heads
Transmission: 700r4

I bought this fuel pressure gauge at autozone, it came with a T fitting, I connected it where the chassis hardline connects to the engine hardline with a rubber hose

and it turned out the return line was clogged inside the tank, so I unhooked the chassis return line from the tank, and connected it to the line that goes from the tank to the little vent thing. (and capped off the tank's return line)

I then connected the vent to the EVAP line with a T fitting.

Kind of a ghetto fix, but MUCH easier then dropping the tank
Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 PM

So I took the gas cap off today, I have the power back and it doesn't suck as much gas BUT it still sputters and runs rough and the gas gauge still jumps around.

Thoughts ?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:48 AM

Car: 92RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Clogged lines to vent and evap.Disconnect one at a time and see which one allows the car to run best when disconnected.

Originally Posted by hzemall
So I took the gas cap off today, I have the power back and it doesn't suck as much gas BUT it still sputters and runs rough and the gas gauge still jumps around.

Thoughts ?