TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

Surging Idle/Code 44

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Surging Idle/Code 44

I've never found anything half as helpful as you guys here on TGO. I've been away for a little while, but am in need of advice. My baby's running bad. Here are my problems and my solutions... what do you think/suggest?

Rough/surging idle,
hesitation when accelerating, worse when cold,
nasty spraying injectors, including drops or 'dribbling' at all RPM/ throttles,
white/grey ashy buildup on plugs,
code 44.

New EGR and PCV, injector cleaners (in the gas) don't seem to help,

I know all of these are affecting each other, and with all of them its kind of a snowball effect.

I plan on pulling the IAC and cleaning it to help the surging idle, hopefully I don't have to replace it.

Then, using this kit -http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...pe=754&PTSet=A- I'll 'rebuild' the TB.

If these two things seem to do the trick... I'll do new plugs.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
Engine: Chevy 350 TBI with some goodies
Transmission: TH-7OO-R4, waiting for rebuild
Axle/Gears: Stock. Saving for 3.73 posi unit.
Re: Surging Idle/Code 44

I believe code 44 means lean condition. Your 02 sensor is picking up a lean mixture. Somewhere to start.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:24 PM

Car: 91 LT1 RS 89 IROC-Z 350 TPI
Engine: LT1 // 350 TPI
Transmission: WC T5 // 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt 3.27 //BW 9 Bolt 2.77

replace the o2 sensor and replace the temp sensor that is next to the thermostat housing, and also check the wiring on that sensor, mine was bad and i went throught 3 sensors before i figured it out. Also check your idle control sensor, should be a 4 prong plug on the TB. And also check the TPS sensor. But more than likely its your temp sensor, or wiring, or the o2, mine was actually both, good luck!
Old 05-24-2008, 12:27 AM

so i went ahead and bought that kit. my IAC valve wasnt very bad. it was 3xs as bad when i cleaned it years ago. i also installed my stock 305 injectors which worked fine when removed. a few years back i put in some 4.3 injectors, because i was told it would increase my MPG. anyway...

i havent fired it up yet as it was too late and i'd wake the neighbors. but i reinstalled my fuel pump fuse to check for leaks... and sure enough a leak! i was expecting my fuel line fitting to leak, but no leak here.

the top of my passenger side injector puddles up when i turn my key. i tightened all of the torx head bolts, but it didn't help... they were already tight. it puddles up so fast that i can't get a visual of the source, but i think its coming up around the prongs or that center stud thing.

Is it possible to have a leak coming up through the top of the injector????????
Old 05-24-2008, 09:37 AM

Car: 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
Engine: Chevy 350 TBI with some goodies
Transmission: TH-7OO-R4, waiting for rebuild
Axle/Gears: Stock. Saving for 3.73 posi unit.

I had the same problem on my Throttle rebuild. Make sure that the 2 o-rings are put into the injector pod before you insert the injector. I believe that the metal O-ring goes first then the rubber. Good luck, but this is a piece of cake.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:56 PM

Car: 1989 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: L30 TBI 5.0L Vortec
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by CaddyMan
I had the same problem on my Throttle rebuild. Make sure that the 2 o-rings are put into the injector pod before you insert the injector. I believe that the metal O-ring goes first then the rubber. Good luck, but this is a piece of cake.
If that dont work, Get fuel pressure gauges and check your fuel pressure at your lines on the driver side next to the alt. Common surging causing issue is a bad Fuel Pump or fuel pump rubber house connecting it to the housing, Trust me ive had to pull my pump 4 times to remedy the surging issue, I had to keep doing it because it would seat and the gas kept eating up that hose...
Old 05-28-2008, 08:57 AM

Thanks for everyone's insight. After pulling the injector two more times I finally noticed a small defect in the O ring. As bad as I hate using old parts, I threw in one of the old O rings and viola.

I've got a beatiful cone-shaped spray from both injectors. shes idling great and driving like a new car. I can tell a significant amount of power was restored, due in part to the better fuel mixture and the stock 5.0 injectors instead of the 4.3's. Smooth acceleration, and I was able to drop my idle down to about 600 cold in park (I did have it up around 800 cold, so it wouldnt die out), so I know my mpg should increase.

Tomorrow AM, she's getting a new set of AC Delco's, a timing check, fresh gas and a can of Seafoam.

Next I'll have to get a new crank pulley (probably an underdrive set) to keep it eating my belt like it has been!
----------
I forgot to ask, but does anyone know why after pulling my fp fuse the car still idled for ~3 minutes before I shut it off?

Last edited by dan_o_89_rs; 05-28-2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-28-2008, 11:34 AM

Car: 1989 Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: L30 TBI 5.0L Vortec
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Originally Posted by dan_o_89_rs

Thanks for everyone's insight. After pulling the injector two more times I finally noticed a small defect in the O ring. As bad as I hate using old parts, I threw in one of the old O rings and viola.

I've got a beatiful cone-shaped spray from both injectors. shes idling great and driving like a new car. I can tell a significant amount of power was restored, due in part to the better fuel mixture and the stock 5.0 injectors instead of the 4.3's. Smooth acceleration, and I was able to drop my idle down to about 600 cold in park (I did have it up around 800 cold, so it wouldnt die out), so I know my mpg should increase.

Tomorrow AM, she's getting a new set of AC Delco's, a timing check, fresh gas and a can of Seafoam.

Next I'll have to get a new crank pulley (probably an underdrive set) to keep it eating my belt like it has been!
----------
I forgot to ask, but does anyone know why after pulling my fp fuse the car still idled for ~3 minutes before I shut it off?
I have no idea haha That fuse always troubled me