TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

NEED HELP! CHARCOAL CANISTER LEAKING FUEL!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP! CHARCOAL CANISTER LEAKING FUEL!

HERE IS THE STORY. I GOT THE CAR BACK FROM MY BROTHER AFTER HE DECIDED NOT TO BUY IT FROM ME. HE TOLD ME ABOUT IT ACTING UP WHEN IT GOT WARM BUT I NEVER LOOKED AT IT UNTIL I DROVE IT TO MY NEW HOUSE. IT WAS DRIVING JUST FINE BESIDES ME NOTICING IT GETTING HOT ON THE GUAGE. THEN IT STARTED TO BUCK LIKE IT WAS NOT GETTING GAS SO I PULLED IT OVER TO LET IT COOL OFF. I THEN NOTICED THAT IT WAS LEAKING GAS OUT OF THE CHARCOAL CANISTER. WHAT WILL CAUSE THIS? WHAT DO I NEED TO LOOK FOR? OH AND IT IS AN 1986 CAMARO WITH A 350 TBI IN IT.

Last edited by earlvk_4; 07-14-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:13 PM

Car: '91 S10 Blazer
Engine: TBI 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Re: NEED HELP! CHARCOAL CANISTER LEAKING FUEL!

Well, the most important thing to do first is look on the left side of the keyboard at the object marked {caps-lock}. Press that. Ok, good. Now....

The evap can is hooked to your intake, as well as the fuel tank way up high. If you overfill the tank (keep clicking a few more drops in after the auto shutoff hits) you'll eventually flood the canister. Normally you just get a BIT in there, and the engine can suck it back out when it runs (what it's supposed to do!). It's really meant to suck up the vapors though.

Anyhow - if it's REALLY pissing out - pull the line going to the tank off, and see if it's still coming out (uhh, put a pan under it first!). Your evap can is now toast anyhow, so you can just get a new one if you like, or drain that one out and stick it back in if you don't have tight emission laws where you are.

Check for vacuum at the canister (with the engine running) to make sure it'll at least TRY to do it's job.

Now just don't overfill it anymore.... and leave the magic {caps-lock} key alone.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:55 PM

Re: NEED HELP! CHARCOAL CANISTER LEAKING FUEL!

Well thank you for the info but i know it isn't over full it hardly has a quarter tank but it gives me a place to start. i will disconect it from tank and see if it is coming from that end or the intake end. and sorry for the "CAPS" i was at work and the i use caps to run the program that i use.