TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

350 turbocharged

Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350 turbocharged

Okay I'm a nubie to this and I need some advice I have a stock 350 in my 89 RS I want toknow what do I have to do for a turbo to fit ????? Or what other mods can I do to add some hp I want this car to be street legal can anyone help with this thanks
Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone
Re: 350 turbocharged

you have a stock 350 tbi in your maro or a stock tpi 350? technically no 350 tbi's came in camaro's. but I guess it could be stock still. With turbocharging, they sell kits on ebay for them. most ppl buy the kits and shitcan that crappy china turbo and buy a good garrett or turbonetics one. You'll have to get into custom tuning preferably a EBL setup from www.dynamicefi.com.

Oh and are you sure its a 350? most people just tell you its a 350 to sell the car better. If its a 305, trust me i know. Its not worth putting any good amoutn of money into it. But a nice ls1 setup would be good for it and you could do that for under 2k if you find a good donor car cheap. you can find a lot of ls1 stuff on craigslist too.

hopefully someone can chime in that has actually turbocharged thier tbi engine to put better emphasis on it.

also check the power adder section of this site, should be more information there.

Welcome to the site!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UnderCover89TBI
you have a stock 350 tbi in your maro or a stock tpi 350? technically no 350 tbi's came in camaro's. but I guess it could be stock still. With turbocharging, they sell kits on ebay for them. most ppl buy the kits and shitcan that crappy china turbo and buy a good garrett or turbonetics one. You'll have to get into custom tuning preferably a EBL setup from www.dynamicefi.com.

Oh and are you sure its a 350? most people just tell you its a 350 to sell the car better. If its a 305, trust me i know. Its not worth putting any good amoutn of money into it. But a nice ls1 setup would be good for it and you could do that for under 2k if you find a good donor car cheap. you can find a lot of ls1 stuff on craigslist too.

hopefully someone can chime in that has actually turbocharged thier tbi engine to put better emphasis on it.

also check the power adder section of this site, should be more information there.

Welcome to the site!
Please do not take this the wrong way but I assume you say that based upon things that "you've heard"?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Yea its a rebuilt 350 tbi it did have a 383 but that one I blew the block so now that I got this 350 I would like know how to make it TC and how much would it cost???..... also I would like to add headers and exhaust system after that
Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM

torque_is_good
Wat do you think would be good???
Old 05-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Rs89C
torque_is_good
Wat do you think would be good???
OK

first, you can always tell an old hand because we answer a question with a question

I ask that you step back for 1 moment. If you are going to a city for a couple of nights do you buy a house or do you rent a hotel room? that was a rhetorical question

Now, to put that into perspective, what is it that you are trying to accomplish and please don't say to add forced induction.

If you have run the car and it turns 16's on the 1/4 mile and you want 13's then that is a direct question and a path could be created for you.

Maybe FI (forced induction) would be the solution, maybe not

Before you can even do anything then you need to fully understand what you have.

What size really is your engine

what are the heads that are on it

what is the present induction system

what is the rear end gear ratio? What tranny do you have

after that, you state your goal and it also doesn't hurt to reveal how much real money you have today to spend on this.

After all of that is compiled, a thing called a "plan" can be created. Now, you may be telling us that you need a waterfront mansion and have $50,000 and we'll be telling you about a mobile home on a rented lot. Your dollars available must match your desires.

Once we get past that, this thing called a "realistic plan" is then created and mapped out

and you thought it would be a simple question; didn't you?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:09 PM

What I want to do is to have a street leagal that I can drive every once and a while but still have some power under the hood and I figured that a TC would be nice to have for some power.... money wise I can save up too 1200 a month plus what I have saved and tax season trust me I have the money but still just want a street leagal car I don't want a drag car.....how do I determin what I really have how can I find out all those that u mentioned???? I was already expecting these things to be difficult
Old 05-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member

What I want to do is to have a street leagal that I can drive every once and a while but still have some power under the hood and I figured that a TC would be nice to have for some power.... money wise I can save up too 1200 a month plus what I have saved and tax season trust me I have the money but still just want a street leagal car I don't want a drag car.....how do I determin what I really have how can I find out all those that u mentioned???? I was already expecting these things to be difficult
Let's focus on the engine first
you need to check casting numbers of the block and the cylinder heads.

To get the cylinder head numbers you need to remove a valve cover and the numbers are stamped into the head

for the block, the number is on the rear so you'll need a mechanics mirror and light. There is also a number on the passenger side front but the rear number tells all

you can then search this site as there are many threads on the secret decoder ring for converting casting numbers to useful information

none of that will tell you if the engine is bored, stroked, the heads had work done etc.

It's just basic stuff but good to know

as for gear ratio, put the rear on jack stands, put the car in neutral, put a chalk mark on the drive shaft and also on a tire, have a buddy slowly rotate a tire counterclockwise 1 rotation and make note of how many rotations the driveshaft made. That will give you an approximation of #:1 ratio

If the shaft rotated almost 3 times then you probably have 2.73:1 gears

Fast and Furious was good for bringing passion back for cars but there is a ton of misinformation and nonsense in those movies. Let's look at FI (forced induction) for example. Think of what those 2 words mean? Gen 1 small block chevy's do not flow as well as modern Mustangs which you can get bolt on FI or the 4 valve per cylinder ricers.

Think again about what FI does. It forces more air into your engine. Since you never ever wanto to run real lean what do you need to mix with all of that extra air? Why you need to add more fuel. Trying to run a turbo wit a carb engine can be done but is very tricky. It's easier to use a supercharger because the boost is relatively the same at all rpm's

So, you need to be able to add more fuel to that extra air. Next, you need to be able to take advantage of that mixture and also, since you are forcing more volume into the same space you are adding a lot more stress. You're also creating more power which means more stress on the rotating assembly and moving parts. But, i'm getting ahead of myself.

You need to be able to spray more fuel namely larger fuel injectors, higher volume fuel pump and larger fuel lines. You then need to flow better so good cylinder heads are in order. You also then need to get rid of the spent gases so better exhaust is needed.

I encourage you to do some reading about forced induction and not on forums because there is way too much misinformation (maybe from me too)

Heck, I read on a forum that you can buy a good LS1 and swap it into a 3rd gen for under $2k

Personally, i would not put a used motor that i knew nothing about into any of my vehicles. So, if I buy a used engine then a $1300- $1500 basic rebuild is in store. That is above and beyond the purchase price of the engine. That price is for a gen 1 small block. The price to rebuild an LT1 or LS1 is much more. And those aren't performance rebuilds.

So, do some reading, continue to monitor forums and ask questions. And with respect to street legal. You can make a high 8 second car (1/4 mile) street legal. it might not be a pleasant daily driver but it would be street legal.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:59 PM

alright u seem lik u know wat u talk about so ill keep in touch and ill get those numbers asap
....tell me this is it possible to add a TC to my rebuilt 350 tbi???
Old 05-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

alright u seem lik u know wat u talk about so ill keep in touch and ill get those numbers asap
....tell me this is it possible to add a TC to my rebuilt 350 tbi???

is it possible to add a tc to a tbi small block ( you are assuming it's a 350)? yes, it's possible.

You didn't ask me if it's practical or cost beneficial (that's a hint right there)
Old 05-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 z28
Engine: Turbo 310
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44

tell me this is it possible to add a TC to my rebuilt 350 tbi???
if you have to ask, then no. unless you pay someone to do it and then thats gonna cost $$$$$
Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

Basically I was thinking ls1 swap for 2k. that is from what I heard. buuuuut belive none of what you hear and half of what you see...is the old saying huh? haha..
Old 05-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by UnderCover89TBI
Basically I was thinking ls1 swap for 2k. that is from what I heard. buuuuut belive none of what you hear and half of what you see...is the old saying huh? haha..
Its like the mythical Hemi Cuda that got found in a barn with only 15k miles and the seller had no clue what they had and sold it for $500.

Is it possible that happens; sure, anything is possible. Are you or I going to find such a car, highly unlikely. You have to take with a grain of salt most of what is posted in forums because a lot of it is just repeating what some other poster posted here or on another forum.

The analogy I tossed out about buying a house or renting a hotel room when you only need to stay 2 nights is valid. The OP came in asking about a turbocharger but did not discuss his goals. You offered an engine swap as an alternative which might be a very viable alternative however, does he want to run 15's, 14's, 13's xxxxxxx ?

Without clear goals, a plan can't be devised.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Supreme Member

Yup very true. I did jump the gun. My bad! Good thing ya took over Torque!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
is it possible to add a tc to a tbi small block ( you are assuming it's a 350)? yes, it's possible.

You didn't ask me if it's practical or cost beneficial (that's a hint right there)
So if its not practical or cost beneficial so what other mods do you recommend ???
Old 05-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

So if its not practical or cost beneficial so what other mods do you recommend ???
did you not read my posts? Typing with 2 fingers takes a while to type all of that stuff.

recent conversation overheard

[Rs89c] Hi Mr builder, here's $300,000, please build me a house

[Builder] OK, it will be done in 180 days

180 days later

[Rs89c] - WTF mr builder, this house has no bedrooms, where are the kids and I suppose to sleep?

[Builder]- Hey, all you said was to build a house and gave me $300,000. I did that so stop your whining. You never told me your needs and allowed me to work a budget and plan with you.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Basically RS your not telling torque what kind of speed/times you wanna run. etc. I mean he cant tell you to do a 406 stroker with twin turbos and 230cc cylinder heads that'll run 10's and you'd come back and say that is too much engine for what you wanan do. So tell him whether you wanna run 12's on pump gas, with a gearing of a friendly highway gear so 3.42 or less. an automatic transmission with a close to stock rearend? etc....kind of get his drift?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:01 AM

Car: 91 rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I know this thread is old but I am curious what engine pieces would have to be swapped to make a "practical" Turbo tbi 350 as I have one in an old truck and I'm thinking good mileage and towing. It has stock 8.8 rear (gears unknown) 4l60 which will need rebuilt to handle ANY power adders burnt chip fuel pump and regulator and likely heads... now the question I have is... I also want to be able to play on the street vs. Rice, so stoplight to stoplight can this be done any kind of safely with stock internals? Vortec heads? I know this isn't third Gen related but it IS Turbo related. I've never played with them before and it looks fun.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 AM
TGO Supporter

check out the "build" threads in the power adder board