TBI Throttle Body Injection discussion and questions. L03/CFI tech and other performance enhancements.

2 problems I'm lost

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 305 tbi Stock
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi
2 problems I'm lost

Hi all I just got me a 44xxx original miles 1991 firebird with the 305 tbi the previous owners took the tbi intake off and put a carb intake on was going to go to carb. I have since got a new intake rebuilt the original tbi replaced iat and tps and coolant temp sensors put a new pump and sock in tank. I've replaced all vaccum lines from tbi to map sensor, egr and egr silonoid, heater valve, and pcv. I put new plugs in and a used distributor out of my old 89 firebird I got the car to start but it dies will stay running if I work throttle but it's very poor running and it won't pulse to start have to dump gas down tbi but once it starts they'll both pulse clean patterns. My oil gauge is also pegged to 60 so geuss pressure switch is bad

I don't know what's causing it to not idle I don't get any codes

Now the second problem the wire from the back of the alternator that goes to battery was unhooked well I hooked it up and it started charging but almost as soon as it shows charging that wire is so hot it's smoking I've pulled it off made sure no breaks or cuts tapped a skinned spot up and tested the plug for volts I have 12v on red and 12v on the black wire with key in run position.

I've searched but nothing really hits my problems good enough I can get any help.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: 2 problems I'm lost

Originally Posted by Poseidon
Hi all I just got me a 44xxx original miles 1991 firebird with the 305 tbi the previous owners took the tbi intake off and put a carb intake on was going to go to carb. I have since got a new intake rebuilt the original tbi replaced iat and tps and coolant temp sensors put a new pump and sock in tank. I've replaced all vaccum lines from tbi to map sensor, egr and egr silonoid, heater valve, and pcv. I put new plugs in and a used distributor out of my old 89 firebird I got the car to start but it dies will stay running if I work throttle but it's very poor running and it won't pulse to start have to dump gas down tbi but once it starts they'll both pulse clean patterns. My oil gauge is also pegged to 60 so geuss pressure switch is bad

I don't know what's causing it to not idle I don't get any codes
When you installed the distributor, did you get the timing correct?

Stop looking for "codes". Look at the data stream with a REAL scan tool.

I would want to know:
Coolant temperature
Engine RPM (actual, when cranking)
Engine RPM (actual, when running)
Engine RPM (commanded/desired at idle)
Ignition timing retard
O2 voltage at idle
O2 crosscounts at idle
TPS voltage
IAC position

Which doesn't mean I wouldn't check out all the other parameters, AND check the fuel pressure. Does the pump prime for 2 seconds when you turn the key "on"?

the wire from the back of the alternator that goes to battery was unhooked well I hooked it up and it started charging but almost as soon as it shows charging that wire is so hot it's smoking I've pulled it off made sure no breaks or cuts tapped a skinned spot up and tested the plug for volts I have 12v on red and 12v on the black wire with key in run position.
An entire paragraph in one run-on sentence.

Picture of these wires?

I wouldn't expect that the alternator output wire would go to the battery. Often they are routed to a horn relay or to the starter solenoid.

I don't know what "black" wire you're testing, but I would be looking for alternator output voltage at the alternator output terminal, with the engine RUNNING. Should be about 14.2 volts.

Why do you only have 12v on the alternator output wire with the key on, not running? I'd have expected 12.5 or more.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:40 PM

sorry Schurkey i typed that on my smart phone ill try to find a a snap on red brick scanner im positve on distributor being installed while on cylinder 1 tdc and firing order i just dont understand why it doesn't always pulse when trying to start it i pour a tiny bit in the tbi and soon as it hits it'll spray.

When i turn key on it primes for 2 seconds.

As for the alternator there is the plug on the back mine has 1 red and 1 black wire red is 12v and blacks 12v on red but i havent tested the voltage on the output wire (big red one that bolt on).

i cant find a good diagram to figure out where the output wire goes i was told the battery.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

im positve on distributor being installed while on cylinder 1 tdc and firing order
I'm not concerned that you put the distributor in 180 degrees off. I'm wondering if the timing is set properly.

i just dont understand why it doesn't always pulse when trying to start it i pour a tiny bit in the tbi and soon as it hits it'll spray.

When i turn key on it primes for 2 seconds.
Does a 'noid light flash when cranking?

As for the alternator there is the plug on the back mine has 1 red and 1 black wire red is 12v and blacks 12v on red but i havent tested the voltage on the output wire (big red one that bolt on).
This is the two-wire molded-plastic connector on the side of the alternator towards the rear?

I'm more interested in the output wire that bolts to the stud on the rear of the alternator. You're looking for 14.2 (more or less). I'm concerned that you either have 18 volts, or that wire is grounded somewhere.

i cant find a good diagram to figure out where the output wire goes i was told the battery.
You'll find out where it goes when you trace the whole length of it looking for a short to ground.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Schurkey
I'm not concerned that you put the distributor in 180 degrees off. I'm wondering if the timing is set properly.

Does a 'noid light flash when cranking?

This is the two-wire molded-plastic connector on the side of the alternator towards the rear?

I'm more interested in the output wire that bolts to the stud on the rear of the alternator. You're looking for 14.2 (more or less). I'm concerned that you either have 18 volts, or that wire is grounded somewhere.

You'll find out where it goes when you trace the whole length of it looking for a short to ground.
I don't have a nod light I can try to find one and I'll check timing with a timing light again. The wire was just ran across intake and over to batter with a fusible link but just hanging near the distribution block not attached to anything.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:22 PM

Fixed both problems injector pulse was ecu connection was loose I geuss just took out ecu and unplugged and replugged connectors.

Alternator output wire went to distribution block found old broke contact point.

Now it's just running rich but it runs atleast.