Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

ARGH, my car's dead, help please!

Old 04-21-2002, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Raptor 700
ARGH, my car's dead, help please!

Alright here's the story, my car worked fine prior to this past friday when we had that ridiculous thunderstorm in NJ. I have an 88 305 TPI convertible and on really hard rain it tends to leak a little in the trunk area, which is also where my amplifier is kept. Ok so after the storm I went out for a little drive to inspect some fo the damage around town, my amp was a little moist from water leaking in and it was shorting out so i just turned it off, but the car itself worked fine. Ok so saturday night was the next time I touched the car since friday night, I was on my way up to get some gas when the battery gauge was steadily dropping lower and lower, lights were dimming, radio was cutting out and it was just dying. pulled into the station, filled up and tried to start the car but it wouldn't start, i got a jump from a friend but it took 20 mins to get it running, so i decided to take it straight home, and on the way home the same thing happened, car started surging for power and eventually stalled a block away from my house. So this time i unhooked my amp since it was directly connected to the battery, tried to jump but no luck for 30 mins until finally it started but right after the battery started dying again but luckily i made it back to my driveway.

So the problem is that the car won't start, I only have a few theories, alternator, battery (replaced in november 01), amplifier doing something to my battery, or something entirely different. Whats teh easiest way to check how well the alternator is working? ANY help is appreciated, I'm desperate right now. If I don't figure out whats wrong the thirdgen could be going bye-bye. PLEASE HELP!. Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-2002, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2006 Tacoma X-Runner
Engine: 4.0L DOHC V6
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3:15 LSD
The dying battery sounds like an alternator problem. Especially when the car is runnning but is still losing power that is most likely an alternator issue. I am not very sure though.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Originally posted by trans87
The dying battery sounds like an alternator problem. Especially when the car is runnning but is still losing power that is most likely an alternator issue. I am not very sure though.
I agree, take it to Autozone if there is one around and they'll test it for you.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like an alternator problem to me. I would inspect all wiring however, make sure you didn't blow any fuses or the fusible links, and if you can't find a problem there, I'd pull the alternator to bring it to a shop and have it tested.