Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stalling

Stalling problem with 305 TPI, stalls at idle, runs rough after warming up, runs great when cold, idles perfectly, won't stall. No codes, replced temp sending sensor and IAC with no change.

Any ideas?? One mechanic thinks it's a vac leak, also checked fuel pressure - it's fine. I think it's either electronic or maybe fuel injectors ??? Anybody else had this problem ?

thanks, Scott
Old 05-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
I don't think a vacuum leak will allow for a smooth cold idle.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:39 AM

That's what I thought....I thought it was more ecm related, or fuel or ignition, which brings up anther question????

Should I maybe change the fuel filter, or isn't there an ignition module on the distributor? But that still does not account for the car running well when it's cold.

Help !!! this is driving me nuts.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt SLP Torsen, 3.73 ratio
I'd start w/ the basics, once it stalls check for fuel and spark, air is obvious....Determine which system is having the problem and go from there. The ECM is really mainly just a set of look-up tables. It doesn't do much, and does't generate very much heat, chances are it's fine. It could be a bad sensor somewhere, but generally they'll throw a code, no codes, I'd not be looking at the "computer controlled" systems. Instead I'd probably suspect maybe once of the igntion coils of overheating, although generally they end up welding themselves togather upon burning off their laquer insulation, still though, check the resistance of the coils (primary, secondary, pickup). Check fuel pressure, make sure your fuel pump isnt dieing upon heating up. I wouldn't suspect the filter for a stalls when warm. Usually the dirt flow goes more like this: Cold, everything settles, as fuel starts to go through a clogged filter, it begins forming a tunnel through the dirt, generally this can stay as long as the car is running, if it was severe enough to cause the car to stall, I imagine you'd have extreme difficulty starting the thing in the morning too.
I'm no expert, but if it were my car, thats where I'd be looking
Old 05-05-2002, 10:38 PM

Thanks Corry, I'll check out some of that stuff this week.....

It sounds like you just turn the key off when is stalls - idles for about 3-4 seconds, then stalls, no warning or stumbling. Seems like there's no hydro getting to the motor, maybe it's in the coils.

Also drives nice and smooth when warm, but sometimes runs rough from about 1200-2500 rpm , runs like it has a miss from a bad plug wire....

I'll check back in later, thanks.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:36 AM

I finally figured it out, hopefully this may help anybody else that might come across the same problem.

It was the pole piece inside the distrubutor. It was cracked, and kinda rusty. Once I put a new one in, no more stalling. I also replaced the pickup coil at the same time.

Kinda amazing the car would run like that.