Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Knock,knock, knock,knock ,.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 04:30 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
Knock,knock, knock,knock ,.....

Yeee-hah-it finally happened-my little 305 finally let a rod loose. We just swapped in a new cam and lifters yesterday to see what the little motor would do (remember I was just experimenting with this one so what the hell) New timing chain, lifters, cam, and valve springs. Ran terrible after break in, played with timing and adjusted lifters-ran good, not great but good, but she sounded much meaner. Anyway did some hwy passes, pulled alright from 2200-5200 just like cam card said, then my stock HEI would peter out above that. This morning cleaned the tools and mess on the floor, degreased engine bay then took her down the road. It started off as a rocker arm hitting valve cover sound starting at about 3000rpm, then gradually turned into the infamous knock, knock, knock. I don't have an oil gauge right now-like I said this motor was experimental-so it must not have been enough to supply my 120,000 road ****** need. So I explained to the wife the unfortunate loss of our engine (how much is that gonna cost to fix) of coarse I told her a reman does'nt cost that much; yeah right, who'd put a stocker in anyway?) So the fully prepped 383 I've been talking about will become reality in about 2 weeks. I want to get engine bay cleaned, painted, install heater only air box, and lose about 20 extra miles of freakin wire. The little motor ran good with the to date mods (14.8) but the new set-up IS gonna pull the front up (I got money on that) but first I need to gernade the factory rear (next test) then get the bullet proof tranny-I should do it all at once but I like destruction (I'm smart enough to get to the side of the track after an incident) and I want to see what factory componets can take for forum answers. If all goes well I'll have new set-up info and numbers in a few weeks-just sucks as first points race is in 2 weeks.