Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Tbi, Tpi, Carb?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tbi, Tpi, Carb?

Okay, I know that TPI is basically a better overall engine than TBI. Is TBI the same as a carbeurated system? I don't have fuel injection, but I am running with a 750cfm. Is it better than TPI, or am I missing something here completely? I've done searches, but not gotten everything completely straight. I'm kinda new at this stuff, I bought my car just pretty much so I can rip it up and put it back together and learn it. Thanks for reading
Old 07-01-2002, 10:52 PM

well, the TPI will make more power than the other alternatives, it just cost a lot more money.

the TBI is a great system, I have never modified one for high power, but the prices to do so are fairly reasonable.

the cheapest and most effective way to make power is with a carb. the intakes are cheap, the carbs are cheap, you dont need to reprogram the computers, etc etc.

a TBI is definitley different from a carb.

the TBI uses 2 fuel injectors(usually) that basically sit on top of the intake and shoot gas into the intake. it uses a computer with sensors and all the other jazz to accomplish this.

A carb. can be computer controlled, but it is very basic if it is.
its just the carb. on top of the intake, its very mechanical, which is why its cheaper to make power, and also since its been done for so many years.

the main disadvantage of the stock TPI system is it doesent breathe above 4-4500 RPM, so it makes very little high end power. the soloution to this is fairy expensive.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree pretty much totally with Joshua, but I'd like to add my opinion.
If you're not the kind of guy that's willing to spend money on lots of tuning equipment, and learning a lot about GM ECM's, then a carb is probably the best bet.
There are a million more people that can help you with learning about carbs, than EFI (in whatever form), and it generally tends to be cheaper.
If you're having tuning problems, then I'd recommend posting/searching on the Carb board on this site. Asking general questions like the one you asked will generally just start flame wars, and get the post locked.
Too many people take induction forms WAY too seriously.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:06 PM

carb for poor man
<---poor man
Old 07-01-2002, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

ha poor man ya funny