Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How do I stop engine BLOWBY?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 11:34 PM
Supreme Member

Location: Somewhere around the South Side of Chicago just crusin' in one of the Niteriders
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92RS 25th Anniv./88 IROC Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TBI w/Tpi Air / 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4/700r4
Axle/Gears: Posi
How do I stop engine BLOWBY?

Engine blowby. How can I eliminate it? It seems when I am standing at a light or in Neutral my engine produces blowby out of the tailpipe. It is slightly lite blue. I only see it when in neutral or sometimes when accelerating after being at a stop lite for a long time. My engine also has a breather on the valve cover that produces blowby in the same situation. This valve cover breather makes my car seem like it is on fire at the stop light because of this blowby smoke. The wierd thing is my engine runs fine, has power and acceleration. Occasionaly I get some knock when I accelerate but I think that is either cheap gas or I need better timing. I would like to eliminate or reduce this.

My mechanic who works at a dealership suggested some procedure that drains the oil out of the entire enginethru where the oil filter is attached. therefore cleaning all old sludge and blocked passages. They then replace the old oil with new and the engine should run better and cleaner. This is for high mileage cars or engine that did not have proper oil changes.

What can I do short of a ring job or replacing my engine?
Old 07-05-2002, 04:55 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your engine is vented correctly then i'd suspect it's time for rings. do a compression test and see what you come up with.