Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Oil pump pickup

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Camaro sc
Engine: 350 cid.
Transmission: 700R4
Oil pump pickup

Hi guys.I've had too much time to think about my car while languishing in this frozen waste land(Last week,we had windchill temps of -48 deg.celcius!)anyway,i re-built my engine 2 summers ago and have some questions about the oil pickup that press fits into the pump.Do you guys weld them to the pump for street use,or is that for race-highrev use?The manual i was using at the time just suggested building a special tool to tap it in,but said nothing about tack-welding.I even talked to a friend of mine that was involved in stock car racing and he said they didn't weld their's and they never had problems.I also figured if the factory didn't weld it ,it must be all right.Would you guys be worried about it falling out?I've got probably 3-4 thousand miles on the new motor( One trip over 1000 miles)with no problems,but it's always in the back of my head.I've since read in a mag that if you don't weld it,it'll fall out sooner or later.Am i being paranoid or what?I've got a mind to get some pan gaskets and fix it just for the piece of mind.Thanks for reading.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
I like to braze them in, but that's because I don't have a wire welder. I would not use gas or a stick welder. I've also roll-pinned them sometimes.

It's not "certain" that they'll fall off if you don't weld them or something, but it's also not "certain" that they'll stay on. It's basically near-free insurance. And even if they don't fall off, they can turn, and either end up with the pickup way higher or way lower than it should be.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: T-56
I had mine fall of twice. I made good pressure while just crusing cause the oil pump was still in oil picking up through the hole where the pickup is supposed to go, but when I got on the brakes and the oil went to the front of the pan, the pressure started to drop and I was like "F*UCK" cause I new exactly what it was. I just took the whole pump out and had the pickup tack welded to it.

Tom
Old 02-20-2003, 11:41 AM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i weld a brace on the pick up and bolt it to the pump body. i don't like the idea of welding on the pump cover. jegs and others sell a bolt on brace fro around 10 dollars.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:00 PM

Car: Camaro sc
Engine: 350 cid.
Transmission: 700R4
I feel alittle better now,i thought if it fell off,oil pressure would go to zero and i could kiss my motor goodbye.I'm going to look into one of those braces,it makes sense to not weld it because when i bought the new oil pump i had to reuse the pickup .(not included)Thanks again.