Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Mystery engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 5.7 lt
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt
Mystery engine noise

My Camaro started making a squeeking noise when I first brought it out for the season and I haven't been able to track down what the heck it is. it sounds like a bad idler pulley but ive run the engine with out the belt on and still have sound. ive torn down the top end of the motor replaced gaskets and tried to isolate exhaust parts and anything that could shake or rattle nothing still makes the sound. I just disconnected the torque converter from the flex plate still makes the sound and ive replaced the distributor with a brand new one.

The noise is the loudest underneath right at the rear of the motor and goes away during higher RPMs and is consistent with idle RPMS. the noise happens after the motor reaches idle. oil pressure is made before the noise starts. I am at a loss of what the heck is going on. the noise is loud not quite by any means. the only things left I can think of is a bad rear main seal but its not leaking or bad main bearings or a bad oil pump. any thoughts? I am lost
Old 08-24-2015, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Mystery engine noise

Originally Posted by xxx3man`
My Camaro started making a squeeking noise when I first brought it out for the season and I haven't been able to track down what the heck it is. it sounds like a bad idler pulley but ive run the engine with out the belt on and still have sound. ive torn down the top end of the motor replaced gaskets and tried to isolate exhaust parts and anything that could shake or rattle nothing still makes the sound. I just disconnected the torque converter from the flex plate still makes the sound and ive replaced the distributor with a brand new one.

The noise is the loudest underneath right at the rear of the motor and goes away during higher RPMs and is consistent with idle RPMS. the noise happens after the motor reaches idle. oil pressure is made before the noise starts. I am at a loss of what the heck is going on. the noise is loud not quite by any means. the only things left I can think of is a bad rear main seal but its not leaking or bad main bearings or a bad oil pump. any thoughts? I am lost
Wow , a new distributor was gonna be my suggestion till I read you already did that , cause I did once have a distributor fail and squeak like hell . Tough question , that's for sure .
Old 08-24-2015, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Wow , a new distributor was gonna be my suggestion till I read you already did that , cause I did once have a distributor fail and squeak like hell . Tough question , that's for sure .
Yea that was my guess as well but nope.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:50 AM

Have now taken the flex plate off to look for cracks none found. My last idea before complete engine tear down is oil pump replacement with mane shaft and rear main seal.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:50 PM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 93 LT1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.73 01 SS

Thing you got to think about is the rate of the sound. I'm by no means an expert, but if it's making this noise at a rate consistent with the crank, it's prolly a bearing or a seal or something directly related to the crankshaft. If it's at a rate consistent with the camshaft, or half the speed of the crank then it could be the cam, or the oil pump or something like that. See if you can borrow an automotive stethoscope to pinpoint the source of the sound.

Try changing oil, maybe giving that mystery oil stuff a shot, or the purple stuff, or the lucas additive or whatever is recommended that increases the oil's ability to lubricate in high heat and add additional protection. See if that makes any difference. If the sound really starts once it warms up, it means that whatever the issue is, it's something somewhat related to the way things are expanding in heat and starting to rub.

Might also want to check the flywheel bolts, one may have worked loose. This was causing a horrible sound until I finally thought to check these. Would only seem to cause problems after driving for a little bit.

After that I would pull the motor and just give it a solid inspection and try everything you can before going for a full rebuild. It could even be something going on in the transmission. Hard to say.

But yeah, if you have any mechanic friends or know a cool shop, see if they'll help you with a stethoscope to locate the source for sure before going through the trouble of tearing things down.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:58 PM

The motor has already been rebuilt. There is only 3000 on the fresh rebuild. I just took the trans off the back of the motor and took the flex plate off. All the bolts were on tight and the flex plate has no cracks from what I can see. The sound kind of reminds me of an old compressor if that helps. The rear main seal is leaking so that could be it or it could be the oil pump or oil shaft. I just ordered a new pump, shaft, and seal. If that's not it then the only things left are the mains and the cam.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:01 PM

Who rebuilt your motor?
Old 09-22-2015, 10:03 PM

A race shop. I forgot the name of it. South suburbs of Chicago. Also the sound started all of a sudden when i drove it for the first time this season
Old 09-22-2015, 10:05 PM

I would take it back to that shop and have them take a look at it first. They might have a better idea about what's going on and it sounds like you're busting your *** trying to solve this and it might just be an improperly seated bearing or something they did. Good luck man, I'm sure they'll help you get it squared away. Just don't like seeing somebody have to do tons of extra work.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:08 PM

Thanks man I've been working on this all summer it's killing me. If changing these last things don't work I will pull the motor take it back to them see what they say
Old 09-23-2015, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running a retrofit roller cam? I had one that I was too tight where the spacer touches the timing cover, it wasn't there at first but it started making a funny noise soon after.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:37 PM

It's a comp cams cam for fuel injection other then that basically all new stock components