Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Non Third Gen, Need help with my mothers car!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non Third Gen, Need help with my mothers car!!

ok, my mom started to complain about her car running like crap( 86 caprice ccqjet 305 700r4), and a nice bog...so we did a tune up to it (plugs, cap, coil, rotor, oil) .... this all made the car idle, sound and drive alot better....except the bog. so we told her she can drive it to work and back, but not to get on it at all... well i get a call a week later about it flooding out and fouling the plugs. Upon further inspection, i notice that the gasket surrounding the accelerator pump was leaking really bad. so i rebuilt the carb, changed the foul plugs, and the o2 sensor...and the car starts up and idles great.. hoping that i fixed the bog as well, i took it for a drive. drive it down the road no problem...come to a stop, nail it........ BOOOOOOOG!!! and to top that off i get a code 45 now because of that new o2 sensor i put in (to much oxygen) ,,,,any idea on what the problem can be?? air idle valve?
Old 02-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: Al LT1 headed LG4 305
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi with spacer
Quadra-jets, or quadra-bogs will do that when its cold out and they are not setup right.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:12 PM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
fattie92,

These are the forum rulles for the message boards at ThirdGen.org:

································Third Generation F-Bodies Rules························
Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please press the Agree button at the end of the page. Note: By pressing the button you declare that you are over the age of 13. If you are 13 or under, please use this registration form.

Although the administrators and moderators of Third Generation F-Bodies will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Third Generation F-Bodies or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Third Generation F-Bodies have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

In addition to those rules, Brad recently announced an amendment to include that posts are to be technical in content, and regarding ThirdGen 'F' cars and ThirdGen 'F' cars only. If that's been changed, I'll be happy to eat my words.

I'm thinking that your post doesn't quite comply. In the future, you might want to posts similar question something like:

"1986 305 Quadrajet running like crap problem...." or something like that. If you forget to include the vehicle data, we'll have to presume that you're following the rules. The two are very similar except for a slight cam difference and a few minor tuning parameters.

If the engine were in a ThirdGen, I'd suggest that you recheck the float level, set the TPS at 0.47VDC (factory spec for a 'B' car) and adjust the mixture control solenoid to as close to 30° dwell reading (50% duty cycle) as possible. Since it isn't in a ThirdGen, I can't tell you that.

BTW - The Rochester QuadraJet often gets a bad rap for a carb that can provide very, very good emissions and mileage, and still flow 780 SCFM. If you can't do it with something as simple as a QuadraJet, you're going to be challenged to get a Holley to run that well, and might as well forget about trying to tune a ThermoQuad...