Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

No MSD = better performance?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2000, 06:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27
No MSD = better performance?!?!

I've been struggling with not so great performance from my Formula lately. Rough idle,sluggish on take off,etc. and in an attempt to isolate the cause/causes I've disconnected the MSD 6AL from the ignition system. I have instantly been rewarded with a smoother idle and the engine seems to rev a little quicker as well. I have yet to drive it since the switch due to other work being done but I will be taking it out for a spin in the morning. Has anyone else noticed an improvement after removing an MSD box as well? Let me know.

------------------
Mongoose-NCTGA-1990 Pontiac Formula/305 TBI-700R4 with Edelbrock Performer TBI intake,TES headers,and STB,K&N,MSD-6AL,Holley laser shot coil,Accel Extreme 9000 wires,Jet Stage 2 chip,TCI shift kit with corvette servo,Richmond 3.73 gear with Auburn 3 series posi,3" high flow cat with SLP 3" cat back,Eibach sportline springs,Energy Suspension poly throughout,Lakewood LCA and adjustable panhard bar package,SSM subframe connectors,IROC wonder bar,Tokico 5 way adjustable struts and shocks,Autometer electric fuel pressure gauge,Alpine,JL Audio,MB Quart,92 GTA taillights,92 GTA aero wing and hatch,Steve Spohn LCA relocater kit,MacEwen White face gauges,84 T/A cold air induction air cleaner.
Old 07-24-2000, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1LE
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
I'm no expert, but I've once had to drive my car from the speed shop back to my house. My MSD somehow died on me right outside the speed shop, so the guys told me to drive home, grab the receipt, and they'll warranty the MSD box.

I live about 30 mins from the shop, 20 minutes of which are highway driving. Anyways.. with the MSD off the car, the main thing that I noticed was that I had LESS THROTTLE response, and the car didn't pull as strong on the top end.

I know that this isn't what you were asking for.. but I just thought that I'd share my experience.

Old 07-24-2000, 06:52 AM
Supreme Member

I've had a box go bad before as well. That's why I upgraded to an AL. Unfortunately the limiter went out some time ago and that's about the time the poor running started. When the previous box died the car refused to run,wouldn't start or anything. I'll take it out later today and see how it does. I may go with the Accel 300+ or Crane Hi-6. I'm getting frustrated with MSD.

------------------
Mongoose-NCTGA-1990 Pontiac Formula/305 TBI-700R4 with Edelbrock Performer TBI intake,TES headers,and STB,K&N,MSD-6AL,Holley laser shot coil,Accel Extreme 9000 wires,Jet Stage 2 chip,TCI shift kit with corvette servo,Richmond 3.73 gear with Auburn 3 series posi,3" high flow cat with SLP 3" cat back,Eibach sportline springs,Energy Suspension poly throughout,Lakewood LCA and adjustable panhard bar package,SSM subframe connectors,IROC wonder bar,Tokico 5 way adjustable struts and shocks,Autometer electric fuel pressure gauge,Alpine,JL Audio,MB Quart,92 GTA taillights,92 GTA aero wing and hatch,Steve Spohn LCA relocater kit,MacEwen White face gauges,84 T/A cold air induction air cleaner.
Old 07-24-2000, 07:00 AM

I ran into a similar situation when I had a MSD-6A on my cutlass. The engine seemed to be low on power, almost like it was missing on a regular basis. I sent it in to MSD to have it rebuilt, but it did the same thing when i got it back. No thanks, I'll stick to good old-fashioned HEI.
Old 07-24-2000, 08:10 AM
Banned

In the MSD instructions It says that some HEI ingnition systems need a diaode put into it. This depends on the number of pins your controll module has. I have not put mine on yet, but this weekend I am going to. I have to pull out my ignition module first and see if I need that part or MSD sayes the symptoms would be rough idle lack of power and hesitation. I think you might need this piece. Its like a $5 part from MSD. You can contact the MSD tech dept and tell them what is going on and they will hook you up.

------------------
86 Trans Am 355 TPI Rebuilt 700R4 with Corvette servo, modified valve body, and a B&M Torque Converter (2000 rpm stall w/ lock up), 87 350 block bored .30 with new crank, bearings, rings, and magnafluxed rods. Reworked 305 heads with 3-angle valve job. Added in the rebuild was an SLP TPI cam, BBK 58mm Throttle Body,SVO 24# injectors,MSD 6A, Hypertech Power Coil, 1.5 Crane roller tipped rocker arms, SLP Intake Runners and Port matching in upper intake including fully ported plenum, TPIS adjustable fuel pressure regulator @ 46psi, Hooker shorty style headers w/ Thermotech heat wrapping, Custom 3” exhaust with Flowmaster muffler and chrome quad tips, Hypertech Thermomaster Computer chip, K&N open element cone filter on modified MAF per TPIS specs, MSD Wires, removal of A/C hardware and a 1LE firewall cover installed. Also there has been a PST front suspension kit with Hotchkis strut tower brace
http://geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Garage/9548/kyle.html
Old 07-24-2000, 10:48 AM
Supreme Member

The diode is not necessary for my year car. When I first started using the MSD it worked fine but I didn't notice any real increase in performance except for a slightly smoother idle. I'm getting ready to go for a test drive to see how it runs and to try out some suspension adjustments so I'll post my results later.
Anyone interested please check back later.

------------------
Old 07-24-2000, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Well,after driving the car around town and a few WOT blasts down a few straight back roads I decided to hook the MSD back up. Ther difference was very apparent. The car regained a good bit of throttle response and felt a little better after I reconnected the box. Before it felt lazy like before. I don't know why it decided to start running better but I'm glad it did. Now if I can find the source of this blasted detonation/exhaust leak/lifter ticking noise I've been chasing all will be right with the world,but that's another post entirely.

------------------