Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

REAR HATCH MOTOR-NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2000, 10:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
REAR HATCH MOTOR-NEED HELP

Last week I bought a hatch pull down motor for $50 at a junk yard. I thought that mine was bad, but i replaced it with the one I just bought and it still doesn't work!

there's a relay that sends power to it, could that be the problem.

Please help! If anyone has been in this situation please let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks

------------------
BLACK 1989 FIREBIRD FORMULA 350
K&N, ACCEL CAP & ROTOR
Old 07-31-2000, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason,

I have a 91 Camaro. My advice is based on that model.

First check that the fuses are good. On my 91 Camaro, both the ACC and LID fuses are part of the hatch circuit. Confirm that both are good before doing anything else.

If both are good, then you'll have to look elsewhere.

If the fuses are good (does the rear light below the hatch illuminate?), then check the relay. The motor receives +12 from the red/white wire that is connected to the positive side of the rear light, as well as the relay you mentioned. When you switch the hatch open, a relay (I believe under the dash) will activate to operate the motor. At the same time you operate the hatch switch, another relay (the one you mentioned located by the motor) will activate, and remain activated (by switches inside the motor assembly) so that the motor will operate until it reaches the limit of travel. This is so it doesn't matter when you release the hatch switch (because that will deactivate the first relay's contacts, removing +12 from that source).

When you close the hatch, that will keep the "extend" relay (mounted to the rear) energized until the switches in the motor assembly remove current to the "extend" relay, thus removing current to the motor when it has reached its tavel limit. Initially closing the hatch will activate a switch in the latch area, initially closing the "extend" relay, starting the switching process.

It's a little complicated because the motor must have the positive and negative wires reversed to its input so it can reverse travel.

If the fuses are good, advise and I'll show you how to test the motor to see if it's working.

[This message has been edited by Stuart Moss (edited July 31, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Stuart Moss (edited July 31, 2000).]
Old 07-31-2000, 12:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Since my car is an '89 the fuses are setup differently, I think?
I will check all the fuses and have the relay checked today at a Dealer.

Thanks for your help!

------------------
BLACK 1989 FIREBIRD FORMULA 350
K&N, ACCEL CAP & ROTOR