Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine Diagnostic.... not looking good for our hero

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Diagnostic.... not looking good for our hero

Ok, heres the deal. This car has been sitting in a field for the last 15 years. When I got it I was warned that there was something wrong with the engine (For the price, that didn't matter). I put a new battery in, and the thing turned right over. Pretty amazing since its been sitting so long. Its been almost a month now. I've done some things too it but generally have been to busy to get into it. I've replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap. nothing big. Yesterday I went to change the oil. Now I think I have a valve tap. I added some Lucas oil stabalizer with the oil change to see if that would help. I started her up after the change and POOF! I'm burnin oil. White smoke everywhere, oil splatterin from the exhaust.

I shut it off and got underneath of it. Not only am I burnin oil but I have an antifreeze deposit below my heads. Identical on both sides. The buildup is on the block itself, but right below the heads. Obviously thats the source of my antifreeze leak, but where does this leave me?

Thanks for the help...
Old 05-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The antifreeze is "probably" coming from the back 2 ports on the intake manifold or possibly freeze plugs. The oil burning, well with an engine that sat for that long you're going to have major problems with seals and such. If you got the car that cheaply take the money you didn't spend and invest in a new/rebuilt engine.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:35 PM

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts
It looks like you should plan on removing the heads at your earliest opportunity. You'll be able to look at the bores for rust damage, insp[ect the heads for cracks, rust pitting, etcetera, and may be able to better determine if the engine can be saved or needs to be removed. If you're lucky, you'll be able to clean teh bores, replace teh head gaskets, and change oil filters frequently enough to "save" it. If not, the heads will already be off and removal will be that much easier.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats for the help guys. I was planning on buying a replacement gasket set, but I guess I'll strip it to the heads first to see what the deal is. I was hoping to avoid that, but I guess its comin out this weekend. Thanks again for the help.