Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Extra accessory brace? (sorry...long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2000, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra accessory brace? (sorry...long)

When the engine overheated on my daughter in her 89 RS I put it in the shop for inspection of the damage. When I got it back all that was in the car was block, pistons, and oilpan. Everything else was in three cardboard boxes. Now with a shiney new 350 to replace the burnt up 305, all is back together and running great. I've got an extra brace left over, and for the life of me I cannot find where it is supposed to go. It is round, 1/2 inch in diameter, 9 inches long. Flattened out to a 1/4 inch on both ends with holes drilled out for bolts. One end is bent at about a 30 Deg. angle. Ther was another brace like it that was on the air cond. comp. The other side has the alt. and smog junk but I cannot make it fit anywhere. I have looked on other cars but cannot find one. I'm thinking maybe it is a brace that was put with all the rest of the engine by accident when I got it all back. The other brace was smaller in dia. but about the same length. It fit just fine. If anyone has a clue what this brace does please let me know. A picture or something.
Old 09-26-2000, 06:16 AM

Car: '89 Formula
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt.
2 braces I know of.. 3rd (from the front) exhaust manifold stud on the passenger side to the outside of the AC compressor. 1st exhaust stud on driver side to the top of the alternator.

------------------
'89 Formula - Thunderchicken - 355 Vette L98/T-5/3.45 9-bolt/black/t-tops - the fun car!
'90 GTA - The GTA - 5.0 LB9/TH700/3.27 9-bolt/black/t-tops/tan leather - the cruiser.
Old 09-26-2000, 09:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
The round rod style brace goes from the top of the intake manifold on the driver's side, right next to the throttle body, to the top of the A/C bracket.

If you post a more detailed descrition of the other one, maybe somebody can figure out which one it is.

------------------
"So many Mustangs, so little time..."
Old 09-26-2000, 11:19 AM

I have an '84 Z28 with all four accessories(AC, AIR pump, power steering, alt.). I have two "rod" style braces similar to what you have described. The first one is apprx. 11 inches between the bends which are about 45* each. This one mounts to the drivers side exhaust manifold, third bolt from the front and goes to the top of the upper AC bracket.The second "rod" style brace is apprx 6 inches long and bolts to the passenger side lower water pump bolt and goes to the bottom inboard side of the AIR pump. My dad and I had fun figuring out all the braces for this engine until we discovered the GM factory service manual has detailed pictures of each accessory and its attendant hardware.

------------------
"84Z28/'91 305TPI comp cam flowmaster TB coolant bypass/shutoff valve to heater core MAT relocated Ram-Air(home-made) gutted air-box IROC ground effects/wheels GY245/50's 700R4 superior shift kit/ corvette servo(excellent shift kit BTW) Rebuilt engine and transplanted it myself. Love this engine!
LOW performance people should drive low performance vehicles!