Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Injectors goign bad...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2000, 07:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Injectors goign bad...

I traced my remaining problems with my V6 firebird back to 3 bad injectors. I put together one complete set, half 3.1L injectors, half 2.8 injectors, all tested good. The car ran great for about 40 minutes then started acting like the injectors were bad again. I know technically I should be using a matched set of injectors, but I don't want to drop a ton of cash for a new set of injectors only to have them go bad an hour later.

Anyone have any idea why these injectors keep giving me problems?

------------------
Drew
predatorman@hotmail.com
My Website
87 Iroc
91 Formula 14.3 @ 98mph
91 RS Convertible
92 S10
ICON Motorsports
Old 10-15-2000, 10:30 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
How much alcohol do they use in your fuel where you live? GM says that the fuel injectors can tolerate up to 10% alcohol in the fuel before it screws them up. But I have ALWAYS been leary of alcohol in my fuel.

Now, many places purposely added alcohol for "oxygenated gas" and for colder weather. With the high price of oil, maybe some of the gas companies are increasing the alcohol content of their gas.

I can't remember the SPECIFIC problem alcohol causes for fuel injectors, but the net result in increased internal wear when high/prolonged amounts of alcohol is used with fuel injectors.

PS: My car runs poorly and has less power when I have tried fuel with alcohol in it. Alcohol does not have the same BTUs for a specific volume that gas has.
Old 10-16-2000, 07:32 AM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
Drew,

I can see some of us haven't been paying attention in class. You don't have to spend a lot of money on new injectors. You can send you old injectors to Rich at Cruzin' Performance and they will be returned better than new. The GM engine factory accepts injectors with a flow variance of up to 5% as a "matched set". Rich tries very hard to have every set go out of his shop at 1% variation or less. Standard fee is $10.00 per injector.

Incidentally, I've done quite a bit of study on alcohol blended fuels. While I would avoid any methanol in the fuel due to its corrosive properties, ethanol is fairly benign, and actually provides some of the same performance benefits of methanol without the dangers. I've used ethanol blended fuels since 1976 with no adverse effects. The last set of injectors I sent for flow-matching were already at less than 1% variation after 110,000 with ethanol blended fuel - before they were cleaned. I guess there was no damage caused by the alcohol.

I always get a smile when I hear of those people who adamantly protest the use of alcohol in gasoline, but readily pour in gas line antifreeze by the pint, essentially making their own "gasohol" at a higher cost. Worse yet, most fuel treatments are methanol based, which is the worst kind of alcohol you can pour in the tank.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0