Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Vader: water injection question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vader: water injection question?

Can i put a water injection on my 89 350 camaro iroc. Do you know where i can get this setup. thanx
Old 10-18-2000, 11:10 PM

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts

You can install a water injection system on nearly any engine you want, including turbines. There are several considerations that must be made before deciding how and even if you really want to do this. The benefits can be great, but the risks and maintenance can be problematic.

Water injection is most effective at medium to high loads at engine speeds beginning near the lower end of the power band. Injecting water at low RPM can kill the atomization of the fuel and may contribute to emissions problems from more than just incomplete combustion.

Water injection at moderate to high loads and RPMs can help control detonation better than the EGR, provide a little free intake charge cooling, and help keep cylinders cleaner. Unfortunately, if you can't modify the ECM to take advantage of this by advancing timing more than the stock limits, much of the benefit will be unrealized.

A little water vapor goes a long way, especially in areas of low relative humidity. Adding water vapor on those 95% RH summer days around here doesn't provide a lot of benefit.

Search the web for data on water injection, and you'll find a lot of discussion. It work great at altitudes above 5,000' and at intake air temperatures below 50°F. Beyond those points, the results are mixed. I played with water injection on two engines I had several years ago and decided to pursue horsepower through other means. You may have a better outcome.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Old 10-18-2000, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you Vader for your help. My father has a 75 camaro with twin turbos running water injection says it helps him alot.
thanx