Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Weird sound!! please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Z71
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: Auto
Weird sound!! please help!!

I have a 1990 iroc with a 305 and a 5 speed. I havent really modded the car yet, just exhaust. I just started to notice a whining noise, and im not sure where it is coming from. I think it is coming from the transmission or rear end, but im not sure. I only hear it when i let off the gas. Can someone please help me?
Old 10-24-2000, 10:58 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
Wruth,

Better check the oil levels in both the transmission and axle. If you've never changed the oil in either, it might be worth doing.

Noise on accelleration or decelleration can happen from worn bearings int the axle, a damaged crush ring, or worn pinion. When you remove the rear cover of the axle, check the wear pattern on the gears, look for obvious damage, metal particles, and operate the axles and driveshaft by hand while observing what's happening in the housing. Hold one axle while turning the other to check the differential side and spider gear action. Check the play in the driveshaft to determine if the pinion bearings are worn or the crush sleeve has been damaged.

I'm not sure how durable the T-5s are, but gear noise on decelleration isn't uncommon on the older Muncies. This can be any number of things in a transmission, but usually involves a bearing instead of a gear - usually.

It's also possible the noise could be from a rear wheel bearing, so don't overlook those.

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad"
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0