Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Whats that high pitched squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats that high pitched squeal?

When I rev my engine up near redline (4500-5000 rpm on the factory tach) it makes a high pitched squeal, or scream as i call it. Sometimes if you just gun the gas it wont shift into the next gear if its sitting there screaming at 4800 rpm. Could there be somethin wrong with my transmission? I was trying to loosen my distributor hold down bolt and dropped a socket back there once upon a time and ive yet to find it. could it have gotten stuck somewhere weird? I thought i heard it fall out when i drove away but i never found it. I'm not sure if it squealed like that before i dropped that socket, i had only had the car for a few days at the time. thanks for your help
Old 08-10-2003, 05:26 PM

I may be talking out of my ****, but I'll give this a shot.

Does the squeal occur throughout the RPM range or is it <b>only</b> when you get it close to redline? I ask this because it could be a belt issue if you hear the squeal throughout the RPM range and it becomes more pronounced as you rev higher.

-Ray
Old 08-10-2003, 09:45 PM

No, it's only that last few hundred rpm. otherwise it zooms like a champ, just right there up at high rpms it screams and then wont rev any more or shift. It does that no matter what gear its in and even if its in park or neutral
Old 08-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Banned

belt. , actually, this is crazy, but i had the same thing happen , only it was bad thermostat, ...craziest thing ive ever seen, it sounde dlike a dman long beeeeeeeeeeep --shrugs--
Old 08-11-2003, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by Big Z
No, it's only that last few hundred rpm. otherwise it zooms like a champ, just right there up at high rpms it screams and then wont rev any more or shift. It does that no matter what gear its in and even if its in park or neutral
I doubt that the socket you dropped down there is causing this issue unless it actually fell into something, but if that were the case I'd think that it would produce more than a high-pitched sound at redline. Besides, there <b>shouldn't</b> be anything open on or around the bellhousing area for anything to fall into.

I would see if you can isolate the noise to a specific area (either engine or transmission...or both) and go from there. If you can find out where it's coming from you can likely use the process of elimination to find out what's causing it.

I know that these suggestions are somewhat vague, but I'm just learning about cars and my suggestions are where I'd start. Maybe you can find a buddy who will rev the engine while you look and listen. Hopefully some of this helps or makes you think of something that will work.

-Ray