Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

UGH!!! Flat cam or ?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UGH!!! Flat cam or ?????

Ok. engine pings sounds like a diesel and generally has NO ***** when it gets warmed up. I've tried everything. 91 octane gas, 104+, retarding my timing...even to the point where the engine runs like phooey, changed cap, rotor wire plugs knock sensor, ploped my pals diagnostic unit into it....it counts the knocks....everything works, it retards it's timing. I haven't measured the lift (approximate) at the rocker yet, but this sounds to me like a cam going flat. It really only rattles on one cylinder. Oh yeah and I had a compression test run on it at work and I guess everything checked out great except for when the engine was warm one of the cylinders was slow to lose pressure on the exhaust stroke. So I guess my question is....is it a cam? or is it something *hopefully* of a lesser crime. Oh yeah and if it is a cam do I have a roller cam or just a hydraulic cam? And what cam would you guys reccomend for a pretty much stock LO3, except for open element. I was going to pop some shaved vortec heads on it, a decent intake, mod out my tbi, and a nice fat cam with an even fatter chip....but it looks like I'm gunna have to put it off until cash starts flowing a little more freely. Thanks guys

Phil-

Oh yeah and a yanked the smog pump, but it did that before I even touched it, possibly to even a worse degree. And does anyone here have a y-pipe for my hooker supercomp shorties?? I'm to cheap to have one made, or unless it comes right down to it then I'll have to.

------------------
91 RS with an auto TBI 305. Metallic Maui Blue, Iroc nose and hood 40,000 on the ticker. No engine mods as of yet. I want a turbo....bad.

[This message has been edited by PhilMoore (edited November 16, 2000).]