Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

lookin for 3rd gen... Help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2001, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lookin for 3rd gen... Help...

OK, i know very little about domestic's, (yes im an import guy) But, im in the working on building a Chevette for a school project (high school), well, thats besides the point. For my own personal use im lookin for a 3rd gen, Can someone give me all the info, from price range expected to pay, what year was better, what are the motors, what 1/4 times, and any other info would be a big help, Thanks in advance..

------------------
1993 Talon
Lookin for something faster..
Old 01-28-2001, 09:39 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you'll learn a lot on here if you just sit back and read some of the post. another good site to visit is macgyvers board www.nethirdgen.org they're a little more laid back and you can ask all the silly questions there you want, doesn't have to be tech and if you visit the tech board there you'll find i moderate it too

------------------
ICON Motorsports

1st & 3rd
Old 01-28-2001, 09:56 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
Slow,

Generally speaking, in completely stock trim, the '88 and '89 'F' bodies were my favorites. They included the upgraded TH700-R4 automatics or T-56 manual, had the improved rear brake calipers, had the roller cam engines with one-piece rear main seals, some had the Borg Warner 9-bolt differentials, and the TPI engines were still equipped with a MAF instead of speed-density fuel control schemes.

'85s are somewhat of a lone eagle, with an older ECM processor, digital MAF, old style transmission, flat-tappet camshafts, and sticky rear brake calipers. The '86 was the real bastard-child of the breed, with a mix of old and new ideas. One-piece rear main oil seal, but flat-tappet cam. Upgraded pump and valving on the automatics, but the sticky rear calipers. Analog MAF, but a poor air cleaner design.

And the TPIs through '88 had a separate cold start injector to assist in starting, whereas the '89 had only eight injectors and a modified program, which is a little simpler.

'87 was the first year an optional 350 was returned to the car, so you'd only have a 305 with anything earlier.

If you find a 'T' top car, be aware of the fact that some top inserts were glass and some were Lexan polycarbonate. The plastic panels eventually fade and develop tiny fissures from UV exposure, so the glass may be preferable. The panels can be interchanged, so don't turn down a good car on that basis alone.

Oh, by the way... Welcome Aboard!

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Make Me Bad..."
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
KaleCo Auto Parts

[This message has been edited by Vader (edited January 28, 2001).]
Old 01-28-2001, 10:05 PM
Neo
TGO Supporter

Welcome to the boards. I say expect to pay $7000 for a clean good running 3rd gen (prices varing in diff. regions)

Oh and in case you did not notice, Vader is like a god here (very knowledgable man).

------------------
Mike Kenny
Current: 1991 RS 305 TBI
Past: 1990 RS 305 TBI (A woman forgot what red lights are for)
Current: mostly stock - newer 305 w/ 12,000 on it
Eclipse speakers all around w/ 10" tube powered by a Alpine V12 in back
K&N filter w/XStream flow lid - It is sweet!!
Future: 2" Cowl hood
Old 01-28-2001, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

Except that he is under the Dillusion that 88-89 Fbody's Came With T56's

I got a Very Clean, Well Running 85 Sport Coupe For 1400$, but it has the Lathargic LG4. Not a problem For Me cause I like to Mod, but Its Not a great out of the box performer. If tahts what Your Looking For, the 88-89 TPI 350 ( L98 ) cars are your best bet, Like Vader stated. The 350 ( 5.7L, for the import guy ) Cars wernt very common at all With the 5 speed, So you would have to settle For a 700R4 automatic. The Swap is a Peice of cake However

I know Vader, Typo ) But I had to Jump on it...

EDIT:
Oh yeah, Stay away From the TBI cars, and Dont get a v6! ( sorry V6 guys )

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver

Just another Hot Rod kid, or thats what they all tell me.
Livin' the Stereotype

[This message has been edited by Bort62 (edited January 28, 2001).]
Old 01-28-2001, 11:51 PM

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700-R4
Vader's right about all that stuff. The 91-92's are the most refined, and also the most expensive. Thirdgens "feel" different from your average sporty car, and you might interpret this as something being wrong if you've never driven them. They handle great at speed but not so much for slow turning such as in parking lots. I drove a talon awd though, and was to say the least very impressed with the handling! Basically enemy number 1 is RUST. Do not buy a rusty thirdgen. Get under any unibody car before you buy to check for this especially on the floorpans and rear fenders. You might also want to remove the upper trim piece on the doors (if the owner will let you) and look for rust in there with a flashlight. Of course you don't want anything to be obviously wrong...one good idea is if you're considering a particlular year/model to post on here and see if someone can scan you a picture of the engine bay and interior so you can see how "stock" the car is.

I've had to replace the washer fluid pump and sometimes wiper motor on every thirdgen I've had for some reason. You want an 88 or later TPI V-8 car, and you want a 350 if it's not clapped out. Make sure the seats are in decent shape too. Check for trouble codes if you know how (paper clip) and make sure you hear/drive the car at least once when it's been started COLD. A lot of problems can be disguised if the owner warms the car up before you get there. Try to get 4 wheel disc brakes, a G92 rear package (3.23 or 3.73 posi) and if you can get goodies like aluminum driveshaft and spare tire go for it. Other desirable features you'll wish you had if you don't get them are power accessories (windows, doors, hatch, side mirror, rearview mirror, seat, etc) and some cars had engine block heaters and/or oil coolers. T-tops are always a plus, I miss mine.

The 90-92 cars are the newest, and also have the best body construction since they used more advanced welding methods. They are faster stock blow-for-blow than the MAF cars, but the debate over whether speed density or MAF is better rages on, Vader and I prefer maf, but there's plenty of extremely knowledgeable people who prefer sd. The list could go on forever (seems like I have eh?) but just keep your eyes open for rust and a clean interior. Things to look out for in terms of performance and drivablility are universal and not exclusive to thirdgens so I won't list a billion of them here. Good luck, and welcome to a great class of cars!

And of course price! I got mine for $2500 but it was a really sweet deal and I had to replace the injectors almost immediately. It also needed tires and an alignment. Since then though, I've had to replace the ECM, the alternator and battery, the AC compressor, air pump, and tensioner pulley, shocks and struts (struts coming soon), etc. Basically plan on doing all the medium-cost maintenance beyond tune-ups that a 9-19 yr old car will need, because chances are even on a good car a lot of it won't have been done! First thing to do on a tpi car is change the fuel filter! I'd say depending on the deal you get, 2500 on up will buy a decent thirdgen, but don't buy from a dealer if you can help it. Look for names in the classifieds on here for frequent posters who are selling some, but find out why. The guy I got mine from buys wrecked thirdgens and restores them, but he does an excellent job and the whole is much much more than the sum of the parts when he's done. You may not get a good deal from a private seller, but you CERTAINLY won't get one from a dealer!! The most you should pay is what the car is worth!
------------------
Base: 89 Iroc-Z LB9 auto 2.73 posi
Exh: 3" Dynomax muffler, 3" Pipe in place of cat
Ign: Accel 300+ wires, cap&rotor
Fuel: Cleaned and flow-matched injectors, afpr, !air pump&diverter valve
Sound: Clarion deck, Kicker speakers and amps
Suspension: KYB Shocks, BMR Strut Tower Brace
Misc: TB Bypass, Synthetic Oil, Flexlite Transmission cooler,
free mods, hopefully engine swap and 4th gen seats in the works...

[This message has been edited by I ROCK (edited January 29, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by I ROCK (edited January 29, 2001).]
Old 01-29-2001, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Bort62:
Except that he is under the Dillusion that 88-89 Fbody's Came With T56's

I got a Very Clean, Well Running 85 Sport Coupe For 1400$, but it has the Lathargic LG4. Not a problem For Me cause I like to Mod, but Its Not a great out of the box performer. If tahts what Your Looking For, the 88-89 TPI 350 ( L98 ) cars are your best bet, Like Vader stated. The 350 ( 5.7L, for the import guy ) Cars wernt very common at all With the 5 speed, So you would have to settle For a 700R4 automatic. The Swap is a Peice of cake However

I know Vader, Typo ) But I had to Jump on it...

EDIT:
Oh yeah, Stay away From the TBI cars, and Dont get a v6! ( sorry V6 guys )

Why where the 5 speed and 350's are rare combonation?

Anyone know what kinda 1/4 times i can expect, and i alredy know for sure that i dont want a V6

------------------
1993 Talon
Old 01-29-2001, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 4 Mopars total
Engine: Pentastar power
Transmission: T/F and New Process
Axle/Gears: Three 8 3/4's & one 9 1/4
just to clear things up, no L98 was available from the factory with a T5 5-speed. I guess they couldnt handle the additional power and torque output of the 350. But my 89 GTA is for sale if your interested.

------------------
1989 GTA, L98/auto, t-tops, Black w/ grey int.
Ran a 14.85 @ 93.4 mph w/ 305 exhaust (2 little crossflow mufflers), descreened MAF, TB coolant bypass, and casting wall ground down behind throttle plates.
Old 01-29-2001, 10:37 AM

It all depends on what you meant by "personal use." What they've been telling you is about your best cost vs reliabilty and power. Personally I like tearing cars down at starting over. Sure, the for the amount of money I've already spent I could of gone out and had a thirdgen that needed little and no paint/body work, but where would the fun be in that?

If you're looking for a project car look for one with a blown engine (with a sound block, preferrebly 350). These are usually pretty cheap because they don't run and you don't have to go hunting for a block nor junkyard hunting for parts the owner may have kept if he removed the engine himself.

I could be mistaken about the above so I'll answer like everyonce else. It all depends on where you live. An immaculate 88 350 IROC loaded goes for about $3500....I believe there was a convt. 89 IROC 305 5-speed going for $4000 at one time in really nice shape. However, I've seen thirdgen RS's and 92 T/As for as high as $10,000 at larger dealerships.

------------------
1984 WS6 Trans Am Hartop
Former L69 Car under restoration
1984 Trans Am T-tops
4-bolt main 350, performer intake, headers, Holley 650, T-5, hayes clutch, dual elec. fans and 3.23's.
Daily driver and restoration
13.98 @ 101
Old 01-29-2001, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by 1989t-topGTA:
just to clear things up, no L98 was available from the factory with a T5 5-speed. I guess they couldnt handle the additional power and torque output of the 350. But my 89 GTA is for sale if your interested.

Where you from and how much are you asking
Old 01-29-2001, 11:17 AM

Also, regarding the Tranny swap, how much would it cost and would a M6 fit in there?
Old 01-30-2001, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

If by M6 you mean T56, yes and around 2k.

Quarter Mile times, Anything from 16's to 14's Depending on Motor/induction/year

Thats In stock trim, Add a little $ and a Little Know how, The Skys The Limit.

We have Many people On this board Running 12's till the cows come Home, and then Driving the Kids to school

Plenty Of thirdgens Out there deep into the 9's as well, If you are indeed that dedicated

------------------
60 Ranchero - Project ( Money Hole )
85 Sport Coupe LG4 - Daily Driver

Just another Hot Rod kid, or thats what they all tell me.
Livin' the Stereotype

[This message has been edited by Bort62 (edited January 29, 2001).]
Old 01-30-2001, 05:40 PM

Thanks, you guys have been a great help...

------------------
1993 Talon