Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel Pump won't shut off/loss of power/oil gauge not working etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TBI
Fuel Pump won't shut off/loss of power/oil gauge not working etc.

Okay here goes my long winded and hopefully not too stupid of a question:

Sometimes when I have driven my car a distance that requires me to drive a half hour or more (this never happens after a short drive) the fuel pump won't shut off after the car is shut off, it buzzes away until I call my husband out to disconnect the battery to kill it, lol.

The car has also been more sluggish at acceleration lately (happened around the same time the fuel pump started malfunctioning) and the oil gauge has quit working too, add this to the fact that the idle is very high when I start it and that the engine light comes on when I have driven over 50 miles an hour for over 10 minutes and you have my car- affectionately named "deathmobile".

What could be causing these?
Are these problems related in some way or are they separate? Does anyone else have one or more of these problems?

I asked this question on the TBI board but I think they don't really know what is going on with it either.

I figure if I ask in several different places then maybe I will luck out and run across someone who does know.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2004, 10:01 PM

Car: 88 gta ....89 formula 350
Engine: 5.7......383
Transmission: heavily reworked 700r4
check your oil pressure sending unit.......i dont know about yours but but on my 350 its right above the oil filter. my fuel pump wouldnt shut off and i replaced the oil pressure sending unit and it fixed mine...hope it helps...
Old 04-04-2004, 10:10 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Z28
Engine: Sb2.2 406
Transmission: Jerico 4 speed
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" 3.60
Your confusing the pressure sending unit with the oil pressure switch. The sending unit is what tells the gauge what pressure to display. The switch is what tells the pump its ok to prime/run.

The problems you (Hawaiianiroc) stated with the fuel pump and what not suggests that the oil switch is going out. The gauge malfunctioning suggests that the sender is going. Considering as how both of these are going at the same time, im under the impression that you have a Oil pressure switch/sender 2-in-1 type ordeal. the small bronzish cylinder acts as both features. It controls the relay as well as the gauge readings. It could be in one of two places. Either down just above the oil filter, as stuart suggests. If its not there, check right behind the distributor, on the rear china wall. You should see a small pipe fitting sticking up from the block. Look for a small cylinder. It should have 3 wires coming off it. Try replacing that and seeing what happens.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:18 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TBI
Thanks much for your answers

I will have to check into both of those suggestions. This car drives me nuts. It is something every month- no kidding! I should start a post every month when something goes wrong and call it "Problem of the Month", LOL. In any case thanks guys!
Old 04-04-2004, 10:19 PM

Car: 88 gta ....89 formula 350
Engine: 5.7......383
Transmission: heavily reworked 700r4
stekman, i stand corrected. i get them confused sometimes....
Old 04-04-2004, 10:27 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Stekman,

On the 89 Iroc-Z, there is only one unit and it is where Stuart mentioned. The two units were combined into one.