Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Extreamly rich condition in TPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extreamly rich condition in TPI

Read up on "Ugg...this is making me mad!" post for the current progress up to this point.

The car is dumping way to much fuel into the cylinders for it to burn. Its drowning out the plugs. Any ideas why the computer is telling the injectors to dump so much in? Timing is close to where it needs to be, blue spark, no visual cracks in the wires.... but the plugs are soaked w/ fuel, it dribbles out the hole when removed.

Oh, and what do most of you run for plug gap?

Old 03-13-2001, 10:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
Ok,, there’s a lot I can’t piece together from your two posts. – How long have you had the car and has it been running right? If it was running OK,,, what “changed” – I’m asking did you make any changes,, and if so,, what? You said the distributor was never pulled and restabbed,, but the timing was way off. A bolt backed off the distributor? Was it running OK,, then the bolt backed off and it won’t run right now??

Also you said it’s a 1989 TPI,, which came with a MAF sensor,, but you said it does not have one. Did you swap over to a MAP sensor system,, or was it like this when you bought it?
Old 03-13-2001, 10:57 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BadSS:

Also you said it’s a 1989 TPI,, which came with a MAF sensor,, but you said it does not have one. Did you swap over to a MAP sensor system,, or was it like this when you bought it?
</font>
89 came with MAP, not MAF..

I didnt read your other post, but how old is your o2 sensor, when mine went it was telling the ecm to dump more fuel because it couldnt sense any fuel..
just a thought
Old 03-13-2001, 12:23 PM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
Ron,

Are you certain the 1989 MODEL year cars came as speed-density? Most of them I've seen have a mass fir flow sensor.
Old 03-13-2001, 12:30 PM

Nothing changed at all. Go out, try to start it, no go. I went through the logical steps. Air, fuel (too much) and timing. Had to remove some plugs (again) clean them and gap them a little larger. Also checked the coil resistance, it was good.

The car used to run like a bat out of hell. It's been sitting for a while. Got it running 2 weeks ago, moved it 10 feet to a better working spot and cut it off. I cranked it up a few days ago to let it run. It would start then stop imediatly. The distributor was loose, so I was going to re-time it yesterday (the next day). On that day, the car wouldn't start, so I started troubleshooting.

It is an 84 vette block, 89TPI system, and has a digital fuel injection (not LPE) system piggyback, a non-ecu controled HEI.

I got it running (still rich), and when I start it, it doesn't want to idle right away. It will usualy start and then slowly creep to 1k RPM or so, but will flux to 500rpm, sometimes killing the motor.

No MAF sensor.

Old 03-13-2001, 12:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ron rizzotti:
89 came with MAP, not MAF..</font>
Nope - 89 was MAF w/o the cold start injector. The only year like this. 90 started the MAP.

So,, it has an after market fuel management system using the MAP and the system does not control the timing. Where did you put the timing? Do you know where the timing was before it moved?

[This message has been edited by BadSS (edited March 13, 2001).]
Old 03-13-2001, 02:05 PM

I put the timing back where it was before all this began. Kinda cheezy, but I had quickly polished the vac advance piece (chrome) but didn't get the side that was blocked by hoses/fuel rail...so I could tell by what shined and what didn't, where it needed to go Hey... it works

car starts and runs, idle is still a bit rough. Fans aren't kicking on, neither is the HVAC system. I have power to the door locks, seats and mirrors, but the radio is also not working. damn gremlins...they caused all of this.

Uggg.. one thing at a time I guess